Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Lean under WOT and low fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lean under WOT and low fuel pressure

Apologies if this isn't the right section.

Hello, so I've been searching and searching and have yet to come up with my specific issue. So here's the deal. 08 Evo X GSR. ETS, Intercooler, piping, intake and exhaust. GFB BOV (soon to be replaced with synapse) and MBC. Had an unknown tune on it when purchased. Currently in the process of trying to retune it with a local reputable tuner.
I got a great deal on it knowing it needed some tlc.
Verified good compression accross all cylinders before purchase
These symptoms existed when purchased:
Hard starting, cranking is a good 10-15 seconds. Runs fine after started under normal driving conditions ad will boost if gradually throttled. If given WOT it will start to build boost then bog down severely.
After getting the car we installed a wideband and boost Gauge, the wideband shows normal AFR under idle and normal driving conditions but goes very lean under boost (13-16) .
Tried adjusting with tune, no change.
So we checked the fuel pump relay and low and behold they were the old ones and they all sounded like salt shakers! So we figured it out right!? Wrong. Replaced them with the new updated relays and it made no difference. So now I'm thinking tired file pump. So I've ordered a fuel pump, but what's strange is the fuel pressure test we ran.
The only local fuel pressure adapter plate available went in place of the FPR. So we ran the test without the FPR on. When removing the FPR there was no fuel or fuel pressure in the rail. Is this normal? It seems like it should have been pressurized? Every other car I've ever worked on the fuel system there was fuel pressure that needed released.
Second, no fuel pressure with key on, but once cranking and starting at idle it reads about 40-43 psi. This is without the FPR even on the car. It seems that without the regulator it should be much higher. ???
So at this point were waiting on the new fuel.pump to get here. Hoping that fixes the issue.
What are your thoughts on the fuel pressure?

Last edited by Headtrauma89; Apr 5, 2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update. Problem solved with new fuel pump kit. It looked like the old pump wasnt necessarily bad, but the O-rings had stretched causing a pressure leak. Without the FPR it holds 90 psi. All AFR readings are back in spec.
The following users liked this post:
Eboluvr (Jan 20, 2024)