Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

P1220 & p1260

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1220 & p1260

My car: 2011 RalliArt Sportback, 95k miles. Only mod is razorlab flash.

Around 93k, car started throwing the red triangle. Codes pull as either P1220 or P1260 (usually one or the other, don't think I've ever seen both at once).

There's one other thread on this forum about P1220 with no answers, and a few on the other forums.

Does anyone know what these codes are? Factory service manual does not list either of them.

Trying to resist taking my car to the dealer but I'm not sure what to do at this point...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

I guess what I am really asking is does this mean I need to go get my timing chain done now?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Update for all the lurkers:

After leaving the CEL on since posting this, I decided to read codes the other day:

P0513 Immobilizer Malfunction
P0012 Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retard

Hey, now we're getting somewhere! P0012 points again to the timing chain...

Cleared those, and am back to getting P1220s all the time.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
The general code for P1220 is the throttle position sensor. When you have a bunch of unrelated gremlins (Timing Chain, TPS, Immobilizer) it could be pointing to a bad ground or a failing PCM/ECU. It's also possible you're actually having issues with all three systems but it's hard to say for certain.

I hate electrical gremlins so I wish you the best of luck!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by splattj
The general code for P1220 is the throttle position sensor. When you have a bunch of unrelated gremlins (Timing Chain, TPS, Immobilizer) it could be pointing to a bad ground or a failing PCM/ECU. It's also possible you're actually having issues with all three systems but it's hard to say for certain.

I hate electrical gremlins so I wish you the best of luck!
yes I did find references to the throttle position sensor- but nothing on official Mitsu paper specific to these cars (factory manual)

FWIW I think the immo code was because my keyfob was in the door pocket which is right on the periphery of its range for starting the car.

Thanks for the response. Right now I think my most pressing course of action is to pull the valve cover and visually inspect stretch.

Last edited by derekste; Nov 13, 2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling