Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Timing set to factory default while I had a stage 2 plus filter tune installed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing set to factory default while I had a stage 2 plus filter tune installed

I had some work done on my 2008 evolution Mr. They had to reset the ignition timing. They wouldn't have known about my tuned and would have used the factory default timing. At the time I had Cobb accessport with Stage 2 plus filter installed on the ECU. Will this be a problem? I have a feeling stage 2 timing advance won't be active anymore. Is this true? Thanks in advance to anyone who offers help.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 05:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
There isn't a way to reset the ignition timing unless they flashed an entire stock tune into the car, or changed the tune. But if you have a cobb they would have needed cobb software.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. They had to remove the actual timing chain and put it back on. Don't they need to adjust the timing chain when they put it on? I'm wondering if setting the timing chain to Factory stock while the ECU is tuned for cobb stage 2 is okay. Excuse my ignorance but I'm new to this. Also excuse me if you understood the question the first time I just want to be sure. Thanks again
Old Apr 2, 2019, 09:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The timing chain is supposed to be installed same as factory. Someone would not have changed cam timing with the timing chain when installing the cobb stuff. The cobb tune would have no effect on the physical timing of the cams. They make changes in the mivec tables to change cam timing with the mivec while the engine is running to make a broader powerband, but the way the timing chain is installed does not change.

In short, you have nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 09:09 AM

Thank you so much for the reassurance. And taking the time to explain it.