Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

2015 evo x gsr catless options for echeck

Old Jun 8, 2019, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 evo x gsr catless options for echeck

Ok well I inherited a 2015 evo x gsr and my brother took off the old stock exhaust and added a top speed catless exhaust to it. Problem is we live in a area that requires e check. We also have a self e check place as well where they dont stick a kirrornunder your car and look for one. But he didnt have a tune in the car and I'm getting ready to purchase it and get it transferred into my name . I really dont want to put the old exhaust back on it just for a echeck . Is there ant options to go about that will fool the computers at the place to pass me in a e check without cats on the car? The old exhaust is sitting in his attic fully built still just dont want to pay someone to install it then pay someone again to un installing and add the old exhaust back on it. Currently the cars blows fireballs out The tailpipes , I'm assuming that's because it's running rich and needs a tune? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2019, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It probably does need a tune. Are you able to swap just the cat with the test pipe? Even if they don't check for a cat, it sounds like it would probably fail the echeck. This might not be a bad place to start if you wanted to get familiar with the car. Swapping out an exhaust is usually pretty easy as long as the bolts aren't seized up. Just a couple bolts, couple rubber hangers and moving the o2 sensor. Another option would be a highflow cat, and only swap once.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 06:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I second on the High Flow Cat. I have ETS one, pass the Emission test no problem. The test must read OK ready, if it reads as "unreadable" you will not get a pass.
The following users liked this post:
RevMaynard (Jun 11, 2019)
Old Jun 9, 2019, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok. I'm not sure. The old exhaust looks a bit weathered. Rusted. I was already thinking maybe a high flow cat but Is there any performance loss if I throw a high flow cat on the system that doesn't have a cat? I believe he has the top speed pro 1 catback system and just took the cats off. The old system has the cat connected then it runs down about 2 or 3 ft. And there is another cat looking piece on it. Not sure what it is. And if I added a cat to that I'd have to cut away room for the cat on the new system? I'm not to familiar with this car yet. I had other cars I modified exhausts but I'm never heard of a test pipe before untill I came here. Might be just a evo thing? First import car I've ever had. So bear with me 😂
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:13 AM

That's what the forums are for, so don't worry about it. I hardly think you will lose any noticeable performance going with HFC. If you look through HFC, it's pretty much a see through. LOL. Most of the aftermarket HFC will work with stock location mounts. If you have some weird configuration then modification will be required. The trick of HFC to pass the Emission is their J-bung confguration, it's also the reason why I choose ETS.

I just googled "Top Speed Pro 1" for EVO X, and that's the cheapest full Titanium exhaust system I have ever seen $1710. I am not sure why they are showing 4 pieces though, and none of them looks like a downpipe, it's one piece too many. Looks good though.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moladin View Post
I second on the High Flow Cat. I have ETS one, pass the Emission test no problem. The test must read OK ready, if it reads as "unreadable" you will not get a pass.
Good to know, I just ordered an ETS Street High Flow Cat yesterday.

Anything I should know before installing? I'm running it on the stock downpipe and catback, this car is sleeper...most think it's just Lancer, which is perfect!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 03:53 PM

Nothing special, just be careful taking out your sensors so you don't break it and need to buy a new one. They are not cheap. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
RevMaynard (Jun 18, 2019)
Old Jun 18, 2019, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moladin View Post
Nothing special, just be careful taking out your sensors so you don't break it and need to buy a new one. They are not cheap. Good luck!

I bought a couple of O2 sensors a while ago when I saw a deal come up on ebay, 2 for $300 CAD. I'm having the ETS and AEM WB UEGO installed by a local mechanic, without a lift I'd be half-assing something.

Cheers
RM
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going to get it tuned anyways, why not just buy an accessport and turn it off with Ecuflash?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 03:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 259 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
If you are going to get it tuned anyways, why not just buy an accessport and turn it off with Ecuflash?
Accessport and Ecuflash are two different things. They do not work together.

Either way, your sentiment is correct. Just turn off things in the ROM. done.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
Accessport and Ecuflash are two different things. They do not work together.

Either way, your sentiment is correct. Just turn off things in the ROM. done.
Sorry, Openport 2.0.

Either way makes more sense then replacing parts if he is going to eventually tune it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.