EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums-257/)
-   -   ECU controlled Boost upgrade (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums/519140-ecu-controlled-boost-upgrade.html)

Robevo RS Oct 12, 2010 08:53 AM

ECU controlled Boost upgrade

HI Guys!
I have a little problem and i would like to hear more and experienced opinion on this.
I'm running on stock ECU and that is control my boost . I would like to keep it that way.
SO my question is after i did upgrade my WG, there is any other worthy upgrades for the OEM ECU controlled boost set up?
Example boost pill - solenoid etc.

Or any one have a kit or anything like that? Im blind when it comes to tuning. So i would greatly appreciate, if some one would direct me to the right parts and set up .
Would be a best if someone would suggest me a good upgrade set up.

Thanks and all input is appreciated.

Rob :beer:

Clipse3GT Oct 12, 2010 09:36 AM

Only items you would really need if still running the stock turbo are:

Upgraded WGA (Forge, Blouch, HKS, etc...)

Upgraded Solenoid ---> 3 port. (GM, Perrin, Grimmspeed, etc...)

Run proper sized vacuum lines for best response.

fostytou Oct 12, 2010 10:05 AM

The first step to learning is searching (for all of the same threads as this that exist already).

The next would be getting a 3 port solenoid (I'd go with GM, if you search you will see why) and a tuner that can tune it (if you can't do this yourself, don't just install the BCS and expect your car to *not* blow up when you go WOT... this needs to be done before laying the pedal down after the 3 port is installed)

Robevo RS Oct 12, 2010 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT (Post 8744553)
Only items you would really need if still running the stock turbo are:

Upgraded WGA (Forge, Blouch, HKS, etc...)

Upgraded Solenoid ---> 3 port. (GM, Perrin, Grimmspeed, etc...)

Run proper sized vacuum lines for best response.

can you help me let say for the Forge WG - GM solenoid combo, which sized vacuum lines would be a best?

Thanks for the help.

Robevo RS Oct 12, 2010 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by fostytou (Post 8744659)
The first step to learning is searching (for all of the same threads as this that exist already).

The next would be getting a 3 port solenoid (I'd go with GM, if you search you will see why) and a tuner that can tune it (if you can't do this yourself, don't just install the BCS and expect your car to *not* blow up when you go WOT... this needs to be done before laying the pedal down after the 3 port is installed)

i been the first step believe me, and soo much info out there , i need something clear idea /combo/ from experts. Something is really clear for me. OR i would say a recommendation from an expert . I do not like to buy stuff twice. Specially if something dont really need change after./like brake pads/
But thanks for the drive by, anyway.

Clipse3GT Oct 12, 2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS (Post 8745014)
can you help me let say for the Forge WG - GM solenoid combo, which sized vacuum lines would be a best?

Thanks for the help.

Smaller the better, gives best response. Too large gives a bit more stable boost but loses response. Middle ground is best to get the best of both worlds.

Robevo RS Oct 12, 2010 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT (Post 8745261)
Smaller the better, gives best response. Too large gives a bit more stable boost but loses response. Middle ground is best to get the best of both worlds.

cool thanks ! those 3 Ports GM solenoids handle 29 PSI boost reliably?

hawaiian_evo Oct 12, 2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS (Post 8745427)
cool thanks ! those 3 Ports GM solenoids handle 29 PSI boost reliably?

i believe they can handle more then 29psi

heres a test on a few ebc's https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ting-data.html

Robevo RS Oct 12, 2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by hawaiian_evo (Post 8745493)
i believe they can handle more then 29psi

heres a test on a few ebc's https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ting-data.html

thanks !
What is the exact name of the GM solenoid or where i an order the right one? i got so confused by those resistors and boost pills. do i need them too for the GM , if i do which one?
I just read the whole thread through , now my head is spinning... LOL

hawaiian_evo Oct 12, 2010 03:08 PM

Im sort of in the same boat as you. Im trying to decide between Grimmspeed and GM ebc they seem to be the most successful and popular. Not to mention both came out on top in the test.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-solenoid.html

As for the resistor some people are running without so apparently you dont need it.

Ive been leaning toward grimmspeed a little more because their service is top notch. Idk if the GM's fail but if they do youre pretty much on your own. Grimmspeed is about $20-$30 more then the GM (that's if you by the pnp harness for the GM) Grimmspeed has a oem mounting point pnp harness included basically just order hook it then tune.

Robevo RS Oct 12, 2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by hawaiian_evo (Post 8745660)
Im sort of in the same boat as you. Im trying to decide between Grimmspeed and GM ebc they seem to be the most successful and popular. Not to mention both came out on top in the test.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-solenoid.html

As for the resistor some people are running without so apparently you dont need it.

Ive been leaning toward grimmspeed a little more because their service is top notch. Idk if the GM's fail but if they do youre pretty much on your own. Grimmspeed is about $20-$30 more then the GM (that's if you by the pnp harness for the GM) Grimmspeed has a oem mounting point pnp harness included basically just order hook it then tune.

thanks, but i read it somewhere the GM is holding the boost best and more responsive then the grimmspeed, but i can be wrong.

fostytou Oct 13, 2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS (Post 8745033)
i been the first step believe me, and soo much info out there , i need something clear idea /combo/ from experts. Something is really clear for me. OR i would say a recommendation from an expert . I do not like to buy stuff twice. Specially if something dont really need change after./like brake pads/
But thanks for the drive by, anyway.

We are the same experts that posted in those threads. You creating another thread may make things more clear for you, however it makes things far less clear for everyone else. I'd consider that highly selfish.

All of the information you are requesting is already there... and each time someone creates a new thread it makes it harder for everyone. In the least, you should reply to the threads that already exist. At best, read them and interpret your own results as you will wind up doing from this anyway.

It really isn't that hard to be considerate of others...

You already have a wastegate, so you only want to know about which solenoid to use. Extrapolate your data from here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ting-data.html

You really only need to look at the first post.

Changing the line size probably won't have a dramatic effect unless you get really crazy. As they said if you want accuracy, go with the smallest line, if you want to intentionally add some slop go with a bigger line. The 3-4mm hose that fits over the GM barbs provides good middle ground for me. Either way, you are going to have to find what works best for your setup.

migs647 Oct 13, 2010 10:34 AM

Can anyone give any feedback for the Perrin 3-port on a X?

Robevo RS Oct 13, 2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by fostytou (Post 8747997)
We are the same experts that posted in those threads. You creating another thread may make things more clear for you, however it makes things far less clear for everyone else. I'd consider that highly selfish.

All of the information you are requesting is already there... and each time someone creates a new thread it makes it harder for everyone. In the least, you should reply to the threads that already exist. At best, read them and interpret your own results as you will wind up doing from this anyway.

It really isn't that hard to be considerate of others...

You already have a wastegate, so you only want to know about which solenoid to use. Extrapolate your data from here:

You really only need to look at the first post.

Changing the line size probably won't have a dramatic effect unless you get really crazy. As they said if you want accuracy, go with the smallest line, if you want to intentionally add some slop go with a bigger line. The 3-4mm hose that fits over the GM barbs provides good middle ground for me. Either way, you are going to have to find what works best for your setup.

well, you think im the only one want to see and hear this issue more simple and cleared. Basically recommendation from those who knows these type of things, without grafs and all the scientific bugs.
So you say im making everything more confusing and i'm selfish when i just ask a simple set up recommendation, based on expert testing. I do not asked how they work or how you need to test them I asked which one is the best probably. Completely different thing and thread all together this one compeer to those....

Really a selfish thing is ,when i ask about a simple recommendation, after i read 200 + posts in various threads and ask the experts , who is willing to help and clarify things for those who has no clue.

Basically you didnt help me here ,on the question just linking threads here, which i guess we all see them already..../so its useless in this case, i explained above why/
And because of those threads i read it through, i asked, the simple question, about recommendation based on those threads together.. Why ? because those threads make me more confusing then anything, specially if you try to get the infos out of them a same time...

So i made this thread to make it for me and i think others /example hawaiian_evo looks like he dont mind this , against your forecast/ It is more simple here, then ask all those threads everywhere....
And waaaay less selfish , since i dont ruin those actually informative threads for those who understands them , with my simple recommendation question.

Assuming no one is in my boat , but every body is in your both, makes me wonder , what is that... selfish? Make a post about it and ruin the thread, uber selfish? :lol:

i dont even know why i explain myself to you , maybe i have genuine respect to every member in this forum, regardless the level they are or the knowledge they have.
:beer:

So sorry if ruined your day , but please dont post here anymore,if you have nothing helping or interseting to say other then judge other people actions , like they dropped the nuclear bomb....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

keep up the good work on those threads, dont sink down here, you just get mad.
We need you focused.

Cheers Rob

/ no hard feelings :beer: but this was really {offtopic} :lol: /

fostytou Oct 14, 2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS (Post 8748829)
well, you think im the only one want to see and hear this issue more simple and cleared. Basically recommendation from those who knows these type of things, without grafs and all the scientific bugs.
So you say im making everything more confusing and i'm selfish when i just ask a simple set up recommendation, based on expert testing. I do not asked how they work or how you need to test them I asked which one is the best probably. Completely different thing and thread all together this one compeer to those....

Really a selfish thing is ,when i ask about a simple recommendation, after i read 200 + posts in various threads and ask the experts , who is willing to help and clarify things for those who has no clue.

Basically you didnt help me here ,on the question just linking threads here, which i guess we all see them already..../so its useless in this case, i explained above why/
And because of those threads i read it through, i asked, the simple question, about recommendation based on those threads together.. Why ? because those threads make me more confusing then anything, specially if you try to get the infos out of them a same time...

So i made this thread to make it for me and i think others /example hawaiian_evo looks like he dont mind this , against your forecast/ It is more simple here, then ask all those threads everywhere....
And waaaay less selfish , since i dont ruin those actually informative threads for those who understands them , with my simple recommendation question.

Assuming no one is in my boat , but every body is in your both, makes me wonder , what is that... selfish? Make a post about it and ruin the thread, uber selfish? :lol:

i dont even know why i explain myself to you , maybe i have genuine respect to every member in this forum, regardless the level they are or the knowledge they have.
:beer:

So sorry if ruined your day , but please dont post here anymore,if you have nothing helping or interseting to say other then judge other people actions , like they dropped the nuclear bomb....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

keep up the good work on those threads, dont sink down here, you just get mad.
We need you focused.

Cheers Rob

/ no hard feelings :beer: but this was really {offtopic} :lol: /

Oh, pardon me... you must have been too busy being unclear and offended for no reason to notice where I gave you the answer you were looking for:

Originally Posted by fostytou (Post 8744659)

...and then continued to give you tips and warnings. That simple recommendation has been echoed in that thread 50 times, but you are still going to get opinions from other people because opinions are just that, and everyone has one. I gave you what seems to be the definitive answer based on testing and opinion, but based on vendor preference, shape, color, or any other reason people will recommend other products to you. Its the same rash of posts that will cause you to need to evaluate what you want out of a product and make an accurate decision. If you don't do that with any products that you buy, then sorry.... but you had your answer anyway!

I then went on to expand on your question

Originally Posted by fostytou (Post 8747997)

----

...and yet you still seem to think I didn't provide any constructive input.

In the end, its laughable and selfish if you think that your needs are more important than everyone else's. I respect and value everyone in this community, but I put my respect for the community above all of that... because if we let the nuggets of good information become the needle in the haystack of BS, then the people who are willing to actually use, analyze, and expand up on that information will go elsewhere or keep it to themselves. I didn't ruin your thread. I helped add information, added linkbacks to the other threads so that someone who pops into one of these 20 threads can find the actual information, and suggested that you search. You took it to the next level, and didn't have to reply with a completely non-relevant post that mucked it up ;).

WHEN (not if) someone else has the same question I would do just the same and answer it, then refer to a search because, surprise surprise, you are not the first person to do this. Again, you were confused by having other threads that say the same information? ....Then what has this thread done for the next guy? Certainly it hasn't been constructive. I know, completely selfish of me and clearly I assumed that no one has the same question as you :lol:.

If you want someone to just tell you a part to buy because you have money burning a hole in your pocket and can't interpret data that has already been presented in a rather clear and concise manner, then repeated... call a shop and they will be glad to sell you the product that will be best in their opinion.

So did you order a GM 3 port yet? Is there another question that I missed?

I'm here to help.... EVERYONE. And no hard feelings either, but I'd appreciate this community rocking for a long time, because I'm here to stay.