EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums-257/)
-   -   AMS Tested Motec PnP Evo X (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums/531873-ams-tested-motec-pnp-evo-x.html)

Magnumpsi Dec 30, 2010 08:03 AM

AMS Tested Motec PnP Evo X

At AMS we have been doing some testing with the new Motec M800 PnP boxes for the Evo X. After testing it thoroughly on several cars we wanted to do a little write up and discuss some of the features which make it an exemplary choice for engine management. While the ECU is not intended for everyone, that is not the point that we are trying to make. Rather we would like to present it as an excellent option for those that can use it.

For those of you that may be un-familiar with Motec, they are an Australian based company that builds top of the line engine control systems and data acquisition units. As a company they are very well versed in providing solutions instead of just providing simple products. The level of control and available features are second are rarely found in other management solutions.

At the time of writing we have had an opportunity to install and calibrate the system on no less than 4 separate cars. Initially it was necessary to use the RS box in a GSR with and MDC setup separately to control the duties for the ACD. This setup was used on a rally car that went on to win its series this season. More recently, we have installed the same setup in Ryan Gates’ EVO X in a successful attempt to gain more control of the car, and the ability to have more data for us to work with the car. 4 more cars have either been completed or are in the process of being built with the new GSR box. The most recent vehicle to use this and the first as well, has full factory ACD control, ASC is still working, A/C is completely functional, as well as the dash board. The system is able to successfully replicate the signals needed on the factory can-bus in order to have a complete working replacement system that offers no compromises.

The Motec M800 plug in ECU has enough inputs and outputs to handle the control of all the factory installed features and still be able to add additional functions as well. Its ability to communicate on and log on the CAN-BUS allows the end user to have much more data available to them in order to aid them in the quest for better performance. One of the defining features of a Motec system is that it will allow you to do just about anything you can imagine. Having such an open architecture on the ECU allows you to make solutions for complex problems instead of having to make compromises. There are multiple strategies for load, multiple solutions for trimming fuel, timing, boost and actual mapping which allows you to set any compensation that you want, even if it makes no sense. If you wanted to modify your injector pulsewidth based on the speed differential of the front right wheel to the left rear wheel, and also by the amount of brake pressure currently being applied… YOU COULD. While that example is a bit obscene, the point being made is that a high level of calibration can be done, such that almost any problem can be solved with adequate knowledge. The overall control that the Motec gives you is amazing to say the least, and coupled with things like the advanced PID control’s it give you the ability to make a vehicle run very smoothly and predictably.

Our only intent here is to give some insight into a very exciting development for the Evo X market. The intent is not to start a discussion about why you think “X” ECU is better because I know this one guy who did that or saw something on a forum somewhere. For those of you that are looking for something more motorsport oriented or want to do more with your street car, Motec may be your solution.
A couple of screen shots:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ranlsation.jpg

DBW

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p.../Cam-Map-1.jpg

CAM TIMING

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...st-Control.jpg

ECU BASED BOOST CONTROL

Dyno Sheet from a car with an RS Box and our 900x:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ynosheet-1.jpg

(I know people are going to ask so here is the short on the dyno sheet. 2.2L 900x pump gas 22psi.)

Questions and comments welcome,

Chris Black
Mitch Mckee

Gump Dec 30, 2010 08:17 AM

This is simply beautiful knews gents.

AseEVO Dec 30, 2010 08:22 AM

Thanks for keeping us updated.

spdracerut Dec 30, 2010 08:23 AM

For the more street cars (I'm thinking Cali), will the OBD-II computer still be able to hook up to pass smog?

Motec's ecu systems are absolutely amazing. I really love using their data analysis package; it's very intuitive and easy to use. I never even had to use any guide.

BlackTrack Jan 12, 2011 09:29 AM

I love the MoTeC on my car. Chris had the car tuned really nicely on the OEM ECU, but since we've gone with the MoTeC it seems quite a bit smoother all around. TPS boost is issue free and a dream to drive. Hopefully we'll have some time this winter to flex some of this ECU's muscle...maybe even try something smart like anti-lag or launch control haha.

Hiboost Jan 12, 2011 10:34 AM

Good stuff, I think the only reason we stayed away from it when building up the Kids with Cancer Evo X at AMS is that the AC wouldn't work. Now that the AC is working with this ECU it's a solid option for us to switch to. While the AC isn't a performance item, driving 4k miles without AC can really take a toll on the driver. If the Driver isn't fresh for an endurance event, you don't drive as fast. :D

Robevo RS Jan 12, 2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BlackTrack (Post 8983322)
I love the MoTeC on my car. Chris had the car tuned really nicely on the OEM ECU, but since we've gone with the MoTeC it seems quite a bit smoother all around. TPS boost is issue free and a dream to drive. Hopefully we'll have some time this winter to flex some of this ECU's muscle...maybe even try something smart like anti-lag or launch control haha.

why would you put a ALS on the not restricted road race car, dont kill the turbo, if you dont have too.
I mean, are you ever drive around 3000 rpm on track?
I see the launch control purpose though :)
I wish i would not have a need for ALS.

BlackTrack Jan 13, 2011 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS (Post 8983669)
why would you put a ALS on the not restricted road race car, dont kill the turbo, if you dont have too.
I mean, are you ever drive around 3000 rpm on track?
I see the launch control purpose though :)
I wish i would not have a need for ALS.

Haha I was joking. I just wanna try tweakin the diff on it soon!

Chebosto Jan 13, 2011 01:05 PM

any development of utilizing the Motec to control the SST Transmission Computer via CAN BUS in MRs?

Magnumpsi Jan 14, 2011 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chebosto (Post 8986698)
any development of utilizing the Motec to control the SST Transmission Computer via CAN BUS in MRs?

Good question and the answer is I am not sure lol. I will see if Chris has any insight but at this point I don't think so. Since they have just been getting the CAN communication to work for US boxes, maybe this will be what they tackle next? Would be really neat for sure.

Mitch

Chris@AMS Jan 14, 2011 06:30 AM

There might be something on the Horizon...

CBRD Jan 14, 2011 08:01 AM

very good stuff,

thanks for the info!

cb

LapDance Jan 15, 2011 06:13 AM

Does it have instant map changing capabilities? As in a failsafe map for running meth.

pcload1etter Jan 15, 2011 08:10 AM

LapDance Jan 15, 2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by pcload1etter (Post 8991318)
IT would be nice to change maps on the fly without having to kill the car first. especially if running meth

Yea my thoughts exactly, thats the whole reason I havent bought a meth kit =/