EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums-257/)
-   -   Stage 2 COBB OTS Lean WOT (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums/748249-stage-2-cobb-ots-lean-wot.html)

GZQ 7883 Apr 24, 2018 03:42 PM

Stage 2 COBB OTS Lean WOT

Hello,

I've recently flashed to the stage 2 cobb off the shelf map and have been running lean under WOT. I have an innovate MTX-L Plus with the 02 sensor calibrated and under WOT, its reading from 12.6 to 13.2. I have not heard anyone else complain about the OTS maps so I am a bit baffled. I should also mention that cruising in the city/highway AFR's are 14.5-15.3 and under partial throttle, it is in the mid 13's. I was looking to get a protune at Buschur Racing (2 hrs away) but don't want to schedule that if there is a mechanical issue going on.

Details:
I've checked the FPR hose. It is zip tied tight.
I have the orange fuel pump relay (P/N 8627A049) (also tried switching relays around, didn't do anything)
I've done a boost leak test; no leaks
I've looked at the exhaust for leaks; none
I've tried running stage 2 93+CHFF and stage 1+CHFF LWG; both maps have the car running lean
There are no dangling vacuum lines or anything else that looks out of place

Mods:
Buschur crossflow CBE
MAP testpipe (this is where the A/F 02 sensor is)
Depo Racing turbo inlet pipe
Cobb high flow filter

Other Notes:
Boost was on target with the both maps (stage 1 was LWG)
The knock was a max of 2 under stage 2 WOT (has hit 8 twice during engine lugging scenarios, could be phantom knock?)
I can run a log just let me know what you'd like to see, I don't have the AFR reading on the accessport though

Thanks in advance. If you have questions, ill try to respond ASAP.

EVOX84 May 3, 2018 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by GZQ 7883 (Post 11817755)
Hello,

I've recently flashed to the stage 2 cobb off the shelf map and have been running lean under WOT. I have an innovate MTX-L Plus with the 02 sensor calibrated and under WOT, its reading from 12.6 to 13.2. I have not heard anyone else complain about the OTS maps so I am a bit baffled. I should also mention that cruising in the city/highway AFR's are 14.5-15.3 and under partial throttle, it is in the mid 13's. I was looking to get a protune at Buschur Racing (2 hrs away) but don't want to schedule that if there is a mechanical issue going on.

Details:
I've checked the FPR hose. It is zip tied tight.
I have the orange fuel pump relay (P/N 8627A049) (also tried switching relays around, didn't do anything)
I've done a boost leak test; no leaks
I've looked at the exhaust for leaks; none
I've tried running stage 2 93+CHFF and stage 1+CHFF LWG; both maps have the car running lean
There are no dangling vacuum lines or anything else that looks out of place

Mods:
Buschur crossflow CBE
MAP testpipe (this is where the A/F 02 sensor is)
Depo Racing turbo inlet pipe
Cobb high flow filter

Other Notes:
Boost was on target with the both maps (stage 1 was LWG)
The knock was a max of 2 under stage 2 WOT (has hit 8 twice during engine lugging scenarios, could be phantom knock?)
I can run a log just let me know what you'd like to see, I don't have the AFR reading on the accessport though

Thanks in advance. If you have questions, ill try to respond ASAP.

stock fuel pump?

EVOX84 May 3, 2018 09:36 AM

OTS maps are not great BTW... lots of people have issues with them!

GZQ 7883 May 3, 2018 02:24 PM

EVOX84,

I do still have the stock fuel pump. I have really weeded out every other possible problem except for it. I went ahead and bought a DW65C today. I wouldn't think the stock pump would go out at 43k miles but after reading a few other posts of people having very similar issues, they said a fuel pump fixed it. Also, I am going to be getting tuned in the next few weeks, so if i run more rich in the meantime, its not a huge issue.

EVOX84 May 4, 2018 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by GZQ 7883 (Post 11819520)
EVOX84,

I do still have the stock fuel pump. I have really weeded out every other possible problem except for it. I went ahead and bought a DW65C today. I wouldn't think the stock pump would go out at 43k miles but after reading a few other posts of people having very similar issues, they said a fuel pump fixed it. Also, I am going to be getting tuned in the next few weeks, so if i run more rich in the meantime, its not a huge issue.

The only other thing you can do is reach out to COBB. I was running a V3 with the OTS maps and had some issues with knock sum being random. not crazy like 7...... they looked at my logs, changed a few things and sent me a new map. this had some knock so b/c i live in Chicago they told me to get pro tuned b/c i couldn't bring the car to them. I hope it works out and you'll have to post some info after the pro tune!

GZQ 7883 May 12, 2018 11:25 AM

Update: Installed the DW 65C fuel pump. It made it a tad more rich, but I'm still in the low 12's at WOT.

GZQ 7883 Jul 4, 2018 06:07 PM

Update: So doing my pre-tune inspections, I did a compression check. The results were 150,140,140,125. I then did a leakdown test with 90psi in and found the results to be 86,60,84,40. This led me to believe it was a head issue or a bottom end issue. I proceeded to pull the head and found some soot on the exhaust valves of cylinders 2 & 4 (bottom end had no visual defects). I took it to the machine shop to get it straightened out. They said that all the exhaust valves were bent for those 2 cylinders. They also noted that the valve locks/keepers (not sure what the technical name for them is) on 2 of the valves were severely worn and it was a shock I didnt drop valves. In addition, the valve seat on a cylinder 4 valve was really beat. Once I get it fixed and put back together I will update this thread again.

Side note: anyone know what would cause the valve locks to be worn? I bought the car used with 16k miles and my only thought is that at one time it had aggressive cams installed and the previous owner didnt upgrade the valves and springs.