Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Understanding ASC: What it does and reported problems & codes (thread merge)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Understanding ASC: What it does and reported problems & codes (thread merge)

Does anyone have a good understanding of the various ASC switch options. From my understanding when ASC is on, the vehicle uses AYC, ABS per wheel, Power modulation/traction control to stabize the car and provide a margin of safety for poor road conditions and emergency evasive action.

There seem to be 2 different levels of turning ASC "off".

1. You push the button once and the light goes out but what systems are still engaged? I assume AYC and ABS per wheel but no power modulation???

2. You push the button and hold it for 3 seconds and the S-AWC is really "Off" (lights in dispay warn you !) meaning what; only AYC?????

I haven't seen any clear documentation on what systems are enabled/disabled in these different modes of operation. It would be interesting to know and decide what is the most appropriate for track use.

Robi????

Last edited by delkat; Feb 18, 2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

EDIT: I just read about this in Grassroots Motorsports so that's where I'm getting this info.

The system includes a Torsen-type front differential, Active Center Differential (ACD), Active Yaw Control (AYC) rear differential, Active Stability Control (ASC), and Sport ABS brakes. Additionally, the driver can choose between Tarmac, Gravel and Snow modes for the ACD and the ASC can be turned off for performance driving.

As an added bonus, if you hold the ASC button down for 3 seconds it will deactivate the AYC's brake control function. Turning off the ASC is imperative for a fast autocross run, but we found during our road course run that ASC was a useful aid in the rain.

I read *most* of the 3 reviews in the March issues of Car and Driver, Road & Track and Motor Trend. I'll look them over again because I might've missed something.

The Grassroots comparison is pretty good. Some of the best info I've found on the X (and new STI).

-The new chassis is more than 50 percent stiffer than the old one, and the EVO gets a V-shaped brace behind the rear seats. It's also more robust in the rear shock mount area.
-The MR has 11 pounds more sound insulation than the GSR
-The Enkei cast alloy GSR wheels weigh 22 pounds, while the BBS forged MR wheels weigh just under 20.

Last edited by Bounty Hunter; Feb 19, 2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
The beginners will see more benefit, if they leave it on the whole system. /That is one of the reason why feels much more stable the X/ As you getting more advanced then you can start play with it. Juts my opinion about the S-AWC.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
The beginners will see more benefit, if they leave it on the whole system. /That is one of the reason why feels much more stable the X/ As you getting more advanced then you can start play with it. Juts my opinion about the S-AWC.
Have you driven one hard around corners yet? If you leave the ASC active in full it cuts power and dramatically slows the car. That feature is for driving on slick surfaces and even a beginner would find that it is in the way on a spirited drive.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Have you?
I have drive ayc equipped car and i liked it. I didn't drove the S-AYC and above. But those who driven those, they swere it is great./im talking about pro's and not magazin "pro"drivers/. And for the begginers i'm sure it is a big help. So the S-AWC.
But i might wrong with the ASC.
One thought , the X is faster in the corners then those IX's. So when you feel the car is slowing down ,what do you mean by that? Slower then IX or slower with the ASC? did you measured the time you runned? or you just did feel it slower?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think Drag is right, Basicly ASC is traction control on normal cars. and does seem to slow you down on hard coners. If you turn it off, you will still get S-AWC/ like older evo with AYC dont have Traction control but you still have the control of AYC, S-AYC ect.
By holding it for 3 sec, Then everything is off, no S-AWC NO ASC=Traction control acvtive computer controlABS. But I think you still get the standard ABS.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Ah

I think tarmac you understeer more , gravel you oversteer, while snow is a 50/50 power split between front and back wheels.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:07 PM

With ASC fully on, I believe it will use individual or combinations of cutting engine power, applying wheel braking and/or AYC/ACD to keep the car in line.

With it partially on, I believe it will not cut engine power but will still use individual wheel braking and/or AYC/ACD to keep the car in line.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

so that is mean, it is try to prevent from over shoot in the corner?/ using the breaks as a control?/
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:14 PM

It can't save you from entering a turn to fast but if you're already in a turn and you give more throttle and it starts sensing a slide, it should automatically either brake and/or cut throttle even if you have the accelerator floored.

Under braking think of it as reverse AYC; it should work with ABS and apply more brake force on the inside tires if you're in a turn to keep the car going in the direction the front wheels are pointed.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

ASC On = cuts power and uses individual braking control
ASC Off = does NOT cut power but still uses individual braking control (not sure if it's all the time or only sometimes)
Hold ASC OFF for 3 sec = no cutting power and no individual braking control

FWIW, best motoring did "tests" with all settings and i think ASC Off (no engine cut but with braking control) was slightly faster than all systems shut off. makes sense though. i'd want stability control through braking only because i like to modulate the throttle myself. brakes... i concede computers will be better than any man 99.9% of the time consistently.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

No TPMS disabled my S-AWC system (ASC light)

Anyone else have this problem?

My Mods:
ETS Intake
ETS FMIC
ETS IC PIPES
TEST PIPE
ETS CATBACK
ECUTEK TUNED BY ROAD RACE ENGINEERING.
KW VAR 3, Sway Bar, other links etc and tuned by Robispec.

I took my car to California Speedway with these mods stated above with stock tires and wheels. My best time was 1:15:8XX. (sorry no time slip) Which was pretty amazing.

I bought a set of Enkei NT03 with Nitto NT-01 275/35/18 and took my car back to the track. I didn't install the TPMS sensors, obviously it triggered warning light. And it disabled the SWAC, "Tarmac Warning!! ASC off." With the ASC completely disabled, the car understeered like a Subaru STI. The best time was 1:17:4xx. The car just wouldn't turn in to the corner without the ASC. I'm taking my car to the dealership to get the TPMS sensors installed.

Here are some pics:
Name:  image57.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  104.3 KB
Name:  image6.jpg
Size:  113.0 KB
Name:  image9.jpg
Size:  120.9 KB
Name:  Dynograph1.jpg
Size:  81.8 KB
Name:  image43.jpg
Size:  94.3 KB
Name:  image22.jpg
Size:  90.7 KB
Name:  image31.jpg
Size:  102.6 KB
Name:  Trackday_May24th25th008.jpg
Size:  94.9 KB
Name:  image35.jpg
Size:  81.3 KB
Name:  image47.jpg
Size:  102.3 KB
Name:  image35.jpg
Size:  81.3 KB
Name:  image29.jpg
Size:  89.4 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image35.jpg (81.3 KB, 0 views)
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Nice pics. Did you try pressing the ASC button down for 3 seconds? Did the ASC button respond at all?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DVDee
Nice pics. Did you try pressing the ASC button down for 3 seconds? Did the ASC button respond at all?
The button is completely disabled. I didn't think TPMS would affect ASC, but for some reason it does in my car.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Holy. Hanging with the big guns.

I didn't think TPMS would affect the ASC either... Did it return to normal function when you put the road tires back on?

Quick Reply: Understanding ASC: What it does and reported problems & codes (thread merge)