Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which bolt-on turbo to get? FP red, Artisan, Garrett, etc etc etc

Old Nov 21, 2008, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Which bolt-on turbo to get? FP red, Artisan, Garrett, Blouch, etc etc etc

I've noticed more and more turbo upgrades being offered for the X finally. Which one would you get and why?

please feel free to add on to the list (in no particular order):
1. FP red $1799
2. Artisan Evo X SA-X50 Turbo upgrade $1000
3. twin-scroll Garrett GT30R turbo $??

I like:
a. quick spooling, close to stock
b. big power with pulls that floor you to your seat

since the new Garrett bolt-on isn't actually available yet, I'm just looking at the first 2 ie. FP red vs Artisan turbo. which spools faster? which flows more air? of signficance is that you could get almost 2 Artisans for the price of 1 FP red! but is it gonna be worth it?

your thoughts please

Last edited by ablaze; Nov 21, 2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: more names
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I don't know much about the Artisan turbo, but I'll comment on the FR Red and Garrett.

From what I know or can dechiper...

The FP Red has larger wheels in the stock turbine and compressor housings. I think the FP Red compressor wheel flows a little more than the 76mm compressor wheel in the Garrett GT3076. Roughly 57lbs/min vs. ~52-54lbs/min I think....

One good thing about the FP Red in the stock turbine housing: it should spool pretty darn fast due to the small size of the stock turbine housing. Of course, the down side of this is it restricts top end power, especially on pump gas, due to the excessive backpressure caused by the small turbine housing.

The Garrett turbos (3071 and 3076) come with 0.73 and 0.94 A/R turbine housings. The 0.73 is slightly larger than the stock turbine housing from what I've read. So this obviously makes the 0.94 housing a good bit bigger. Without knowning the turbine wheel design differences between the Red and Garrett turbos, lets just say you would expect the 0.73 to spool a little slower than stock. BUT, the Garretts are ball bearing, and the 3071 has the smaller compressor wheel, so I'd expect the 3071 to spool faster than the Red, and the 3076 with the bigger turbine housing to spool a little slower. I'd guess you'll see a bigger difference between the Red and Garrett turbos on pump gas with the Garretts putting down more. On race gas, it'll be closer, but I think the Garrett 3076 will still put down more power than the Red. I'd guess the 3071 will put down less, but it'll spool faster.

One other thing, with cams with more overlap than stock, the bigger turbine housings of the Garretts should free up more power than the stock turbine housing of the Red.

Since the Red uses the stock compressor housing also, I've heard of people getting compressor surge with it on the IX if you lay into it in the higher gears at low rpms. The work around is to not floor it in the upper gears (3rd-5th) at low rpms. The Garrett compressor housing has a ported shroud, so it should be a non-issue.

These are my best guesses; the FP Red will fall between the Garrett 3071 and 3076 with respect to both power and spool-up.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

^^Great info^^
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

I have the FP RED and is fighting some CRAZY BOOST CREEP problems. It makes crazy power though.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:56 PM

Just saw this on the Blouch turbo website, Dominator 2.5R, smaller than a dom2 and its ball bearing! I'm also on the lookout for a turbo but dont want heaps of lag!

http://www.blouchturbo.com/turbos/Evo_X_2.5R/
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsr0801
I have the FP RED and is fighting some CRAZY BOOST CREEP problems. It makes crazy power though.
What are you doing to stop creeping?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:10 PM

oooh, another one to add to the mix: which one to get now??

1. FP red $1799 http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...Code=NTEVOXRed
2. Artisan Evo X SA-X50 Turbo upgrade $1000
3. twin-scroll Garrett GT30R turbo $??
4. Dominator 2.0 $1450 http://www.blouchturbo.com/turbos/EVOX_DOM2/
5. Dominator 2.5R $1795 http://www.blouchturbo.com/turbos/Evo_X_2.5R/

updated list above.

spdracerut, thanks for your comments. guys, keep the info coming!

Last edited by ablaze; Nov 21, 2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Geo@SpeedClinic
List on it is $2599.99. It is a complete bolt on kit. Waiting on eta right now.
^^^ that's the Garret Twinscroll

As far as turbo choice goes...

Ask yourself a couple questions...

Are your going to run above pump gas (100, 110, q16, c16, e85) ect?
If so, how often? With the higher boost, is where the fun comes into play.

Then you gotta ask... what size injectors your gonna run? i'd run the 1000 cc's and with ECUtek you can scale them to run correctly on pump gas.

Me personally... i'd run with the Garret 3076 drop in. You're gonna have great pump gas numbers, and CRAZY race gas numbers. My deciding factor would be the new exhaust housing. As all the other turbos use the factory exhaust housing (correct me if i'm wrong).

To compliment that turbo... i'd contact AFI, or Xtreme Boost.. get the tubular OEM manifold, then i'd add an ultimate racing 02 housing/downpipe to the mix. On high boost, easily 475-500whp, and well over 400whp on pump gas. Which will throw you back in your seat, and have your passengers grabbing the "oh ****" bar. LOL

Good luck man,

Chris
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Like DC said, figure out what your plans for the car are, and then you can really narrow it down.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:42 PM

I'd like to not change anything else right now ie. planning to keep engine stock, stock injectors. if anything the turbo would be my final upgrade. I've got a full exhuast/intake/FMIC/MBC/ecutek already!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck on adding a turbo then.

Your not gonna see significant gains... as your Injector duty cycles are about 80-85% maxed out already, if not more...considering your mods.

Your going to need a fuel pump, and a set of injectors to run a bigger turbo.

-Chris
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

AND a beefed up drivetrain if you go to >400whp level!

Later, Ken
Old Nov 22, 2008, 06:14 AM

the garret unit is a great peice. AMS is putting down over 480 with stock block, cams, etc
Old Nov 22, 2008, 06:15 AM

any links for the Artisan turbo? I have never heard of them... Anyone know more than I do?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

You will need some bigger fuel components, and it sounds like you dont need to make huge power. Get the Artisan or Blouch 2.5, they wont make as much power, but you dont need to beef everything up as much. The Red is great, but you need more upgrades with it, and unless youre running major boost its not worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which bolt-on turbo to get? FP red, Artisan, Garrett, etc etc etc