Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Poor throttle pedal tables leading to premature clutch death?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Poor throttle pedal tables leading to premature clutch death?

So when playing around in ECUFlash, one of the things that really sticks out at me is how "poorly" (in "" because it's my opinion, not necessarily a fact) the throttle pedal tables are used in the stock rom.

Look at all that white space on the right. Basically the throttle pedal is sensed to be 100% down when it's only 55-60% down (and all the way to the floor).

The pedal basically becomes an on-off switch and for people that aren't used to doing anything more than gas-mash with a throttle cable car, they have a hard time adjusting to this rev happy gas pedal and thus they smoke their clutch by inadvertently engaging it with too much gas (in addition to how stupid high the clutch engages).

When I first met Richard with EvolutionDynamics, he told me the *first* thing he did was to remap his throttle pedal tables because he felt like he wasn't in control of the car. Last night we applied these tables to my map.

Notice how it's much more linear and it uses more of the map?

Of course, after driving the car the way it is stock for a year, I had a lot of relearning to do, mostly because what used to be a lot of throttle, no longer is. upshifts are a little weird (like someone learning to drive stick, not enough gas for the 6 puck clutch), but stops from starts, hills (yes, we have little hills here in Dallas ), slow driving (ie. parking lots), etc. do seem to be a LOT easier. I thought that heel toe shifting would be affected as well, but I didn't have any problems heel toeing last night or this morning.

The nice thing is, around town, maintaining speed seems to be easier, since subtle adjustments to the throttle don't result in big increases in speed any more (although with the new tune, there is more power ). We'll see this weekend if the remapped throttle position allows me better control over the car at the autocross (which can have a nice mix of partial throttle feathering as well as full throttle blasts).
Attached Thumbnails Poor throttle pedal tables leading to premature clutch death?-throttlemap.jpg   Poor throttle pedal tables leading to premature clutch death?-throttlemap2.jpg  

Last edited by goofygrin; Jun 12, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin
So when playing around in ECUFlash, one of the things that really sticks out at me is how "poorly" (in "" because it's my opinion, not necessarily a fact) the throttle pedal tables are used in the stock rom.

Look at all that white space on the right. Basically the throttle pedal is sensed to be 100% down when it's only 55-60% down (and all the way to the floor).

The pedal basically becomes an on-off switch and for people that aren't used to doing anything more than gas-mash with a throttle cable car, they have a hard time adjusting to this rev happy gas pedal and thus they smoke their clutch by inadvertently engaging it with too much gas (in addition to how stupid high the clutch engages).

When I first met Richard with EvolutionDyanmics, he told me the *first* thing he did was to remap his throttle pedal tables because he felt like he wasn't in control of the car. Last night we applied these tables to my map.

Notice how it's much more linear and it uses more of the map?

Of course, after driving the car the way it is stock for a year, I had a lot of relearning to do, mostly because what used to be a lot of throttle, no longer is. upshifts are a little weird (like someone learning to drive stick, not enough gas for the 6 puck clutch), but stops from starts, hills (yes, we have little hills here in Dallas ), slow driving (ie. parking lots), etc. do seem to be a LOT easier. I thought that heel toe shifting would be affected as well, but I didn't have any problems heel toeing last night or this morning.

The nice thing is, around town, maintaining speed seems to be easier, since subtle adjustments to the throttle don't result in big increases in speed any more (although with the new tune, there is more power ). We'll see this weekend if the remapped throttle position allows me better control over the car at the autocross (which can have a nice mix of partial throttle feathering as well as full throttle blasts).
Nice,

I've been looking at those tables for a while now wanting to do something very similar to what you did... It's easy to see how with the stock table and lowish load you could transition from 100% throttle to 50% throttle without ever making a change to pedal position if you are accelerating slowly from low rpm.
Did you happen to try the cruise control yet to see if there are any adverse affects?

I've noticed the JDM throttle maps are a little different than the us maps as well but not nearly as dramtic a change as what you posted.

I might give this a try over the weekend and see how it goes.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

glad your liking the new throttle tables. i know the feeling of the out of control acceleration. our outlander has the same problem. i barely touch the throttle and the front wheels are chirping. laurens always like " slow down! were not racing!!", yet i'm at like 5% throttle... now only if i could remap the outlander throttle tables
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
Nice,

I've been looking at those tables for a while now wanting to do something very similar to what you did... It's easy to see how with the stock table and lowish load you could transition from 100% throttle to 50% throttle without ever making a change to pedal position if you are accelerating slowly from low rpm.
Did you happen to try the cruise control yet to see if there are any adverse affects?

I've noticed the JDM throttle maps are a little different than the us maps as well but not nearly as dramtic a change as what you posted.

I might give this a try over the weekend and see how it goes.
I ran home with cruise control last night (otherwise I would have made it home a lot faster ) and I didn't sense any adverse effects. It just maintained 70mph.

The big thing for me was that with the act 6 puck, I was stalling the car a lot (in traffic, getting up my driveway, etc. and I knew it wasn't me. So far so good after swapping these tables.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This looks good, I am just not sure I want to re-learn how to drive the car after 16 months For what's it's worth, I never feltthe car was difficult to drive at all.

Maybe Mitsu mapped it like this to assist in getting the addition 300lb car moving a little faster
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Most people don't "floor it" when driving which is what you kinda need to do to get the power of the turbo going for decent acceleration.

I guess they do that to make the car feel faster overall even at moderate throttle. So now some people think - wow, feel how fast it accelerates and the pedal is only half way down.

I dunno.. just a theory.

I would personally like the full range of throttle control for a more conventional linear feel particular since it would lend to better throttle modulation.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Jun 12, 2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

That's what Richard's theory was too (great minds think alike?). Maybe it's a sales gimmick "OMFG THIS CAR IS SO FAST!" (as clouds of unburnt fuel roll out the tail pipes).
Old Jun 12, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
I guess they do that to make the car feel faster overall even at moderate throttle. So now some people think - wow, feel how fast it accelerates and the pedal is only half way down.
lol i noticed this when i first got the car. it hauls *** at half throttle and doesn't feel much faster at all when you go full throttle. Me and my friend have wondered why this is multiple times, i guess we now have our answer. If only half throttle's acceleration really was only half its power, imagine how fun a car that would be.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bwagner31
lol i noticed this when i first got the car. it hauls *** at half throttle and doesn't feel much faster at all when you go full throttle. Me and my friend have wondered why this is multiple times, i guess we now have our answer. If only half throttle's acceleration really was only half its power, imagine how fun a car that would be.
I get that same feeling too, which explains the rush I get at partial throttle in 5th gear when I'm trying to pass.

goofygrin do you think you can upload an .xls or something of this so i don't have to hurt my eyes looking at the picture?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

if i did this i'm sure i would also get better MPGs because the ecu is not utilizing more during acceleration than i want at any given moment.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know if EvoDynamics/rfielder want this map out in the wild, which is why I made the images so small.

I think there is still some tweaking needed in the map as well...
Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

How sure are you guys about the function of these tables? That is to say what are you guys assuming the X axis units are? Has anyone traced the functions that do lookups from this table?

Reason I ask is I just looked at them in EcuTek and the x axis is in load units rather than unknown units, which makes the function of these tables a bit questionable.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
How sure are you guys about the function of these tables? That is to say what are you guys assuming the X axis units are? Has anyone traced the functions that do lookups from this table?

Reason I ask is I just looked at them in EcuTek and the x axis is in load units rather than unknown units, which makes the function of these tables a bit questionable.
I had the same question to COBB as I was using their ATR. Here's the link:

http://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/...ad.php?t=55498

Basically; increasing the throttle rates, increases duty cycle for the drive-by wire system. Nevertheless, I had a play with the tables; seems responsive. In monitoring, part throttle driving, etc. the throttle position does not report ~86% (WOT) at partial throttle.

X axis should be RPM

Last edited by dcpatters; Jun 13, 2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

in ATR the X will be RPM, but in ECUFlash, the X is TPS "something" and the Y axis is RPM. ATR has all it's tables turned.

Quick Reply: Poor throttle pedal tables leading to premature clutch death?