Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS Widemouth Downpipe Install - is it really this complicated!?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but what is the bolt hole next to the flex section for? I'm putting AMS DP to replace a broken welded DP, so I don't have OEM brackets. Can anyone point me out to what bracket should be used, if any (part number?) and what it should be attached to?

Last edited by Mojito; Feb 17, 2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mojito
Sorry to revive an old thread, but what is the bolt hole next to the flex section for? I'm putting AMS DP to replace a broken welded DP, so I don't have OEM brackets. Can anyone point me out to what bracket should be used, if any (part number?) and what it should be attached to?
^^^^ Anyone?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by onyx1121
AMS only had some very short instructions for their exhaust system install, but the downpipe install bothered me the most.

I found this link that had a hole list of tools: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tructions.html

It mentions things like needed a tap, swivel sockets, and hose clamps.

Now, I want to have the right tools to do this job, so I need to buy a couple of these, but I wanted to make sure the above referenced thread was not outdated before getting in to all of this. Can anyone offer some suggestions or other threads that provide more detail and pictures of this install?

I really wish the guys at AMS had put up some instructions

EDIT: Here is the parts list the guy has. I removed the trivial stuff and just left the "why the hell do I need this" stuff.

4” stainless steel hose clamp
9/16” or 14mm swivel socket
8x1.25mm tap
¼” drive swivel ratchet (optional, will make you not hate this job)
16mm or 17mm angle wrench
8x1.25 Helicoil kit
2 ea 8x1.25 bolts, approximately 4-5cm long.

im confused baout teh hose clamp.... BUT..... 14mm swivle is for the HARDEST bolt on the stock down pip... the 8x1.25 is for IF and when you break it and are required to replace it... or to clean out the threads.. 16, or 17mm wrench is for torquing off the 14mm bolt inbetween the downppe and the turbo...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mojito
^^^^ Anyone?
That bolt hole closest to the flex section was put on there for a heat shield that we never came out with. We originally designed the wide mouth downpipe to be used with a custom heat shield but this was not needed so we never moved forward with it. Unfortunately the casting cannot be changed so it is still being cast on them but is not used. No bracket gets attached to this at all.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

hello andrew. i believe i placed my order with you just the other day.

the tbe should be coming in on friday. i would have the 3 day weekend to do this, but i'm going out of town, sooo i have to wait until next weekend i guess i can get the downpipe and testpipe wrapped during the week while i anxiously wait for the weekend. maybe i can steal the wife's element friday and get to twerk on the teardown early. anyways, standby for a brief writup
Old May 29, 2015, 10:49 AM

For those reading these prior to install like i did for prep purposes. The O2 to turbo bolts are in fact M10 not M8 bolts like originally stated. I measured and after originally prepping with a M8 tap realized that wasn't quite right.

I am at the point where stock 02 is off after two 3-4 hour sessions on working on the car. I have one bolt broken off in turbo manifold and will spend tonight trying to drill it out while on the car which hopefully goes better than it did with high speed steel bits last night. going to carbide and cobalt.

Removing every heat shield mentioned here and in other how to post was a huge help as well working through passenger side wheel well. The lift was an added bonus as well.