Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Steed Speed Exhaust Manifold vs. Tubular Exhaust Manifold

Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steed Speed Exhaust Manifold vs. Tubular Exhaust Manifold

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone has experience with the Steed Speed exhaust manifold. I was doing some research, and the quality looks very good.

I'm searching for a new manifold, and i just wanted some insight as to which route i should go.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Clue4488
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone has experience with the Steed Speed exhaust manifold. I was doing some research, and the quality looks very good.

I'm searching for a new manifold, and i just wanted some insight as to which route i should go.
What are your HP goals? I've had good luck with the Full-race tubular manifold and it seems to have excellent low end torque with good mid to upper gains. The ETS tubular manifold I had before had larger runners so it's more suited to a larger turbo setup with gains in the mid to upper RPM's. I haven't seen any official HP numbers yet testing out the Steedspeed machined exhaust manifold but it looks like a solid design. Likely it will be the best at low end torque and still have decent gains mid and top end, I guess we will find out soon!
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:35 PM
Former Sponsor

ill have a test of Steed speed Vs Tubular sooon!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HB Speed
ill have a test of Steed speed Vs Tubular sooon!
Steedspeed vs stock and vs tubular would be a great comparison! Hopefully your exhaust studs are easily removeable from the turbo for quick(er) swaps, you could probably also get away with only using one of the 3 brackets that holds the turbo in place for the testing at least. Should be fun!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hiboost
What are your HP goals? I've had good luck with the Full-race tubular manifold and it seems to have excellent low end torque with good mid to upper gains. The ETS tubular manifold I had before had larger runners so it's more suited to a larger turbo setup with gains in the mid to upper RPM's. I haven't seen any official HP numbers yet testing out the Steedspeed machined exhaust manifold but it looks like a solid design. Likely it will be the best at low end torque and still have decent gains mid and top end, I guess we will find out soon!

I plan on going with a stock replacement turbo (Dom 2.0 or BBK), cams w/ valve springs (Kelford or BC), AMS fuel system w/ injectors, and high flow cat.

Looking to make around 400 WHP with the setup.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

So HB did you ever do the comparison?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hollywood_X
So HB did you ever do the comparison?
He did do a test. The SS manifold yielded very close numbers to the stock manifold. (really no gain, so no point posting a dyno plot). SS will send HBspeed a new design/version to test in the upcoming week IIRC, which is supposed to make more power. But we will see.

Going something like Full Race/CBRD might be good option because I think the runners for the Full Race are 42mm and CBRD are like 42.55mm.

I'm having doubts if the SS manifold produce any significant gains anywhere... Since the design is close to stock, just cleaned up the runners etc... That would mean the stock manifold is pretty good if it keeps coming up no gain. Only choice at that point is to go tubular.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Clue4488
Hey Guys,

Looks like they're CNC machining it out of billet steel so they should be able to get good flow out of it.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 02:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jon will be testing our manifold shortly...

I think he will find good things...

cb