Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Raw fuel smell when driving

Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta have someone figure out the cause before the solution will be made... lol
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Plus its been over 100 here lately... and I drive around in it, plenty of city and highway driving and have no fuel smell.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe not relate to this specific cabin vapor smell; however, I had the same issue on my Evo IX. It turned out to be the FPR leaking. At idle with the car running and hood opened, it was not noticable. Only after the failure of the FPR did I realize it had a leak causing the vapor fumes in the cabin.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:40 PM

pardon my ignorance but what is a FPR?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ninja99
pardon my ignorance but what is a FPR?
FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:01 AM

I have this same problem 08 GSR. Windows down give it a little gas the cabin fills up...Also fills up the cabin with A/C on in the Recirculating/Max AC position. Taking it in for the recall this Thursday maybe this will fix but doesnt sound like it seems like this may be a seperate issue.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:31 PM

experienced this also, but not recently.
seems like a sporadic issue.

anyone else have input on possible causes or solutions?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:29 AM

Got this yesterday for the first time...mine smelled like my car was on fire. not fuel, i shut my car off cuz i got scared. About an hour later i went outside and started it back up and took it for a short drive and it never came back. Seriously, i thought my enegine was on fire. I've had the recall done as well.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

I have been getting this and I have been doing several different combinations to test it out.

My fuel smell is comign from the air vents. I drive the for for 25 minutes and the smell begins, doesnt matter if the AC is on or off, doesnt matter if its recirc or not. I got this last year before the fuel recall was done, I dont think i drove the car in 100plus degree temp after the recall. I normally dont get the smell, b/c my commute is only 19 miles one way.

Like i said this take 25 minutes for the fuel to become apparent in the cabin. i have left the car runnning and checked high and low and see no fuel. I have taken the undertray off and see no evidence of fuel or any other liquid pooling on it. it doesnt matter if i drive for 25 minutes or sit in the driveway for 25 minutes.

Obviously this is a give or take.... sometimes it takes 30 minutes sometimes it takes 20 minutes.... but the smell always shows up. its made it to where i wont let the family in the car until this gets figured out.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

I have a 2008 with the fuel line return recall performed. I just started getting the fuel smell the other day. It was on a 5 hour road trip with the hottest weather in a while. We only observed the smell when the windows were down no matter the speed we were driving. Parked I could not find any leaks or any trace of the smell with the engine running or not.

Perhaps we should do a poll with regards to having the smellfrom the windows or the ac.probably ina new thread.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alphawav
no . it sounds like a good thing to check but don't think thats it. because this happens with both the windows down and up... actually, its much better with windows down because some of the raw fuel smell that comes through the vents actually goes out the window , lol!

the smell, with windows up, and with ac on or off, and recirc. air on or off, is really unbearable. its a really freaking strong raw gas smell.

awesome. finally! thanks to everyone whos posting, I don't feel like I was the one with a problem car or a sensitive nose, because several ppl are reporting it, so we should have the culprit nailed down before the end of this summer, I hope! I want this fixed.

Stop driving it immediately until you get it fixed. Last thing you need or we all need for it to be a casualty for the media to say you were streetracing or something. Just to find out through the web on here that you were just dizzy from the fumes to meet your fate.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:17 PM
pao
Evolving Member

you sure someone in the car wasn't wearing sex panther?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

I just read on another part of the internet that it could be caused by the fuel cut valves in or on the tank. I don't know where exactly they are located, but this person had the same symptoms as most of us have had. They got the fuel cut valves fixed and the smell stopped.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:50 AM

Hey Guys, I have a 08 GSR with the recall complete, and fuel pump upgrade after that and just notice the fuel smell too at the begining of summer (long after the recall and upgrade) except I got a code (check engine light) I scanned it with Cobb access port and it read "emission evaporative system leak detected (small leak)" Now I cleared the code and took it to the shop and my mechanic said they will have to smoke test the system to see where the leak is coming from. Apparently some cars use a canister to catch gas fumes as mention before in the thread, but some vent through a charcoal canister to atmosphere, but decided to recirculate the gas fumes back into the fuel system which is more complex and as a result creates these problems. Anyway to detect the leak the fuel system has to be smoke checked and differnt sensors have to be activated during the test to see where the smoke is escaping, do-able but still a pain in the ***. I'm going to get mine done this week will post results.

Last edited by iriejigga; Aug 29, 2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 09:31 PM

i drove up to big bear this past labor day weekend. Temp was 101 degrees. Half way up before big bear lake (roughly 5000 ft) the raw fuel smell filled the cabin of my evo x. I pulled over and like everyone esle, I could not find the source of the smell. Next morning I drove back down with no issues. Possibly the altitude in combination with high temp caused the fuel recirculation issue...?? I've driven to Palm Springs in high temp without any issues at all. Not to assume any bs, but i used the AC for the first time up to Big Bear because of passanger complaints... Car runs like a champ now. Hopefully there is a solution.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raw fuel smell when driving