Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

stock replacement/ported stock manifold help, i already broke one..race video inside

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:50 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow stock replacement/ported stock manifold help, i already broke one..race video inside

First off sorry this post is all scatter brained i am now sick from busting my butt the last few weeks on the car and racing constantly so i can't think clearly ....

So as many of you guys know i race my evo literally every weekend (sometimes two different races on saturday and sunday). Anyway, the abuse apparently was too much for my recently upgraded tubular manifold .....i am not gonna name names but it is not $1000 but also not $50 Anyway , needless to say i need to remedy this asap. The race where it gave up the ghost was last saturday at wilson circuit time trial at beaver run .
The good news is it gave up right on the last lap literally and i was able to become the first car to ever run in the 61 second time range and beat the old record by .8 seconds. the bad news is i now have to either port my stocker and try to get it coated in 2 days so i can put it back on cause i have to race at the toledo pro solo this weekend friday-sunday.
This leads me to my issue.... Does anyone have hardcore race laps on any stock replacement tubular manifolds or experience with anyone coating/porting them? i can port it myself but can't get it coated locally unless i find someone and the bigger problem is swaintech takes weeks so thats out.

give me some input guys.

here is one of the videos from this weekend. Some of the turns are super tight (aka can't look good going fast ) don't mind the buzzy blurriness, i am getting a new camera asap or using my iphone 4 (i really want a i6 kodak i believe ) cause they have 720p at 60fps. Anyway, the first couple laps were crappy and whats also funny is i realized the last couple laps were the only time i EVER went to third after the first corner....gotta do that more lol. anyway you will also see how horribly the car was exiting corners under power (it wouldn't just oversteer and let me correct it , the thing would bouce all over ) . it had never done that before except at this track and i couldn't get rid of it all day. The last lap halfway you will see me slow down...i lost boost, upon inspection after getting home the manifold had cracked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtzXqMrWreU

Last edited by evodave; Jul 12, 2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:15 PM
Account Disabled

bump guess i am gonna port my stocker myself and put the stock heatshield back on!

Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:33 PM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sent you a pm
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give me your stock manifold and ill give you my MAP ported and coated manifold for 250...
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:38 PM
Account Disabled

Rogue,
i will let ya know soon i have a few things workin right now.

thanks dude,
Dave
Old Jul 12, 2010, 08:45 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
MAP Rev2 ported stock exhaust manifold, hands down. Ceramic coat it and rock the stock heat shield.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh jeez Dave, bad juju.

I told you about that POS manifold... LOL

Yes, cast is the way to go with racing conditions.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Full-Race manifold has held up fine, my ETS I had before held up fine as well, and the CBRD looks like a good design. If you want 100% stock like reliability then a ported stocker is likely the safest way to go for you though. I hear no tire squeal so can only assume you are on race rubber. I've found the Sony Bloggie camera that does 720p at 60fps works quite well for me, you can check out some of the video in my recent post about Autobahn. It has a stabilization feature that usually helps prevent vibration and movement.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jul 13, 2010 at 02:00 AM.