Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

high rpm lockout on stock clutch 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question high rpm lockout on stock clutch 4th gear

So I took my works short throw shifter our because I hated the way it feels. I did some spirited driving and noticed when I hit about 6krpm and threw it from 3rd into 4th it went halfway into the gate and just locked me out. It wasn't grinding. I just held it there for a second with a little pressure then it popped into the gate without a problem. This problem is intermittent and doesn't happen all the time. I experienced the same problem with the SS installed too.

I run the MTL cocktail
Works bushing kit (underhood + console).

The gearbox feels like butter otherwise.
Stock clutch + bled 2k miles ago by mitsu

Can a heated clutch cause this lockout?
I doubt it is a synchro as I just recently started driving the car harder that usual and it only has 6k miles on it.

Another thing I noticed today was this lockout happened the exact same second the car "jumps". You know... what happens when you bring the revs up and release the gas. I shift fast and I was already locked out before the blowoff valve had a chance to go off.

Do I need metal console bushings? Or motor mounts to reduce the "car jump"? It's not the linkage bracket or cables as they were just adjusted.
I throw it into gears pretty hard when racing. Perhaps I should try a blox counter-weight for extra umpf into gear? If any of my synchroes were to go, I'd expect first because I have grinded the **** out of it on several occasions.

Even though I did get the clutch bled 2k miles ago, the clutch pedal feel does seem a little soft. Should I rebleed?
Also it makes no grinding sound ever. Just doesn't go in. Normal driving, not the slightest sound. DOwnshifting 5-4 is a breeze.

Last edited by tehSteve; Jul 5, 2011 at 11:01 PM.