Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Comparing a few HFCs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comparing a few HFCs

Hey guys, I currently have a Perrin DP with a built in HFC, which I'm not all that happy with, plus I'm switching out to a 02/Dp, and will obviously need a new HFC to accompany it.

So, here are my options.

1. Mil-Spec 100 cell cat ( I don't know much about this, but it needs to pass NYS inspection)
2. ETS HFC ( From my research it is a 200 cell cat, what exactly does this mean besides a little more restrictive)
3. AMS HFC( Unsure of its cell)

Another thing, while friends are driving behind me, and I get into boost, they say it has a strong smell. Should this not be happening with a HFC? I had the same Perrin exhaust on my STI, and it never had a smell after boosting. Does this mean my HFC is potentially on its way out, or already shot?

Only concerns are with buying the HFC, is minimal smell, and ease of passing NYS inspection.

Any input is welcome, and encouraged, just don't recommend me a test pipe because that is not an option in NYS.

Thanks guys
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Mil.Spec will make the most power since its 100-cell, but it will also have the most smell and potentially less likely to pass emissions. From what you're saying, I'd recomend either the ETS or Cobb 200-cell to keep the smell down.

BTW, TESTPIPE FTW!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Mil.Spec will make the most power since its 100-cell, but it will also have the most smell and potentially less likely to pass emissions. From what you're saying, I'd recomend either the ETS or Cobb 200-cell to keep the smell down.

BTW, TESTPIPE FTW!
Thanks Kracka, I always trust your knowledge

I'll take a look into the Cobb aswell.

Test pipe is the best for power obviously, but I don't want to have to swap it out once a year to pass inspection.

Can you legally run a test pipe in TX, do you guys have any emission standards?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Test pipes aren't legal anywhere. TX has emissions but from what I've heard they rarely use the tail pipe sniffer.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

We have an annual OBDII scan test.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Cobb HFC and I love it. Good fitment. How much power are you really giving up compared to a test pipe I wonder. Maybe 5 to 10hp?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4B11AWD
I have a Cobb HFC and I love it. Good fitment. How much power are you really giving up compared to a test pipe I wonder. Maybe 5 to 10hp?
I think I saw the Mil-Spec lost about 3hp in comparison to a test pipe, but I could be wrong. That isn't to bad.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
i've been running the mil.spec for more than two years. never had to try to pass emissions, but it does a decent job of keeping the gasoline smell down. can still smell ethanol though. i like running it because its minimal power loss and helps keep flame throwing to a minimum.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

I don't have to worry about passing any tests so I just run a test pipe but if I had to do a yearly inspection I would just get a HFC that would for sure allow me to pass and toss it on for the test and than back to test pipe... its only 4 bolts and the o2 sensor, just as easy as changing your wheels.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
In the next couple months Vibrant will be releasing a cat that is state legal and approved for California. It does come with a higher price around $500.00 for the cat. But it's suppose to be much better material and pass federal regulations.

We haven't had a problem with the current cats, but this is an option in the near future.

Michael
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

I think I'm most likely going to buy the Mil-Spec of ETS. I want the most possible power, and don't really care to much about the smell, just don't wanna be able to smell raw gas like you can on a test pipe.

I was kinda hoping I'd be able to shoot some flames with the Mil but guess not
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

I have the ETS and passed Colorado dyno/sniffer emission test with ease. Also, according to those who've followed me in the dark, no flames.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HAHAV8
I think I'm most likely going to buy the Mil-Spec of ETS. I want the most possible power
Mil.Spec then, easy choice. 100-cell vs. 200-cell.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In NY state, there's just a visual inspection and OBDII test when they plug in your car. As long as you have something that looks like a cat, and there's no CEL, you'll pass.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

In that case, get a resonated testpipe.

Quick Reply: Comparing a few HFCs