Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tcase, Trans and axles oh my!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Tcase, Trans and axles oh my!

I'm going to try this thread here because the General section is not giving any love.

Please tell me this isn't my transfer case, axles, transmission or anything else major...
It only makes this sound at low speeds, from a stop with the wheel turned and a little gas....just enough for the Traction Control to kick in. It's winter here and slippery so it doesnt take a lot of gas. I've turned off the TC and the noise still kicks in.
It's almost like something is vibrating under the car. I don't feel any vibrations in the car at all. I don't feel anything...just hear the sound and mechanically everything feels fine.

Old Feb 3, 2014, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow hitting a shield? just a guess
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

/\
I would love to think thats all it is but Im doubting it. If anything something might be rubbing against a heatshield or something.

So frustrating.

Well I guess this isnt a very common sound/issue to happen to the evo's
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been getting that a bit too with the cold. I hope it's not a diff...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not just your power steering pump whining is it? Mine is pretty noisy when it's cold out.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

I dont think its the power steering pump. I don't think so anyway. Sounds like something under the car.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First, our power-steering pumps are dead silent; anything that you believe to be related to a PS pump is just a boost leak. [/inside-joke]

If this were my car, I'd take it to a U-wash-it place and blast that entire wheel-well. It's surprising to many how often that solves these things.

I'm also curious if this only happens when the car is very cold. Mine makes a few driveline noises when cold which I just ignore. It can be as simple as immobile grease in the outer CV-joint cup. Yeah, it's causing a bit more wear than usual (since most noises come from metal-on-metal contact), but it's nothing to freak out about.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
First, our power-steering pumps are dead silent; anything that you believe to be related to a PS pump is just a boost leak. [/inside-joke] If this were my car, I'd take it to a U-wash-it place and blast that entire wheel-well. It's surprising to many how often that solves these things. I'm also curious if this only happens when the car is very cold. Mine makes a few driveline noises when cold which I just ignore. It can be as simple as immobile grease in the outer CV-joint cup. Yeah, it's causing a bit more wear than usual (since most noises come from metal-on-metal contact), but it's nothing to freak out about.
I've washed the wheel wells and wheels and the noise is still there. I washed it until there was no ice left at all...that I could see.

It's freeIng *** cold here for at least another month so I won't know until spring time

Iowa I hope you are right that it's probably a noise caused by cold and nothing to worry about.

I'm pretty **** though so I'm getting all of my fluids checked at the end of the month. If the fluids are okay which I'm sure they are I'll ask them about this and see if they have had any complaints about it.

I think you are right though Iowa, it's probably nothing as the car drives fine, even when the noise occurs.