Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full bolt ons + mhi 18k

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full bolt ons + mhi 18k

I have full bolt ons.. my next step is an mhi 18k turbo with 1000cc injectors.. this is basically as far as I plan on taking the car power wise.. is it worth getting an aftermarket exhaust manifold (tubular/equal length/manifold) or just stick with the stock one? I'm most interested in mid ranger power and noticed the aftermarket Map manifold seems to lose a lot down low and mid range.. and really only shines in high rpms when I was looking at a dyno sheet for it.. I just wanna get the most out of the turbo.. and being as my stock manifold is cracked I need one anyway.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Darkcloud3420
I have full bolt ons.. my next step is an mhi 18k turbo with 1000cc injectors.. this is basically as far as I plan on taking the car power wise.. is it worth getting an aftermarket exhaust manifold (tubular/equal length/manifold) or just stick with the stock one? I'm most interested in mid ranger power and noticed the aftermarket Map manifold seems to lose a lot down low and mid range.. and really only shines in high rpms when I was looking at a dyno sheet for it.. I just wanna get the most out of the turbo.. and being as my stock manifold is cracked I need one anyway.

No one has any input on this?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd spend another grand and get the cbrd kit.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by AngryEvo
I'd spend another grand and get the cbrd kit.
That kit looks amazing! Only reason I'd still prefer the 18k is I already have money invested in a tial bov with ams hardpiping and I have a divorced map 3" down pipe. My tuner said that with the MHI I should be able to put down about the same torque I'm putting down now which is 355 and I should get around 4 to 420 horsepower... My question is basically is it worth getting an aftermarket manifold/header or just stick with stock? 4-420 hp is my end goal.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
If you're manifold isn't cracked then stick with the stock one. I'm in the same boat. Once I pull the stock turbo off I'm gonna inspect the stock manifold for cracks. If it is I'm gonna get the MAP cast replacement manifold
Old Dec 20, 2015, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by e_kobz
If you're manifold isn't cracked then stick with the stock one. I'm in the same boat. Once I pull the stock turbo off I'm gonna inspect the stock manifold for cracks. If it is I'm gonna get the MAP cast replacement manifold
It has a small crack.. so I was going to replace it anyway.. can usually find stock manifolds for less than 200... So for an extra couple hundred should I upgrade?

And I wanted to know how going tubular/equal length headers vs stock manifold would affect spool time with the 18k
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Aren't tubular manifold about a grand? Which one are you considering that is so cheap? And yes definitely replace it if it's already cracked since you are upgrading turbo.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by AngryEvo
Aren't tubular manifold about a grand? Which one are you considering that is so cheap? And yes definitely replace it if it's already cracked since you are upgrading turbo.
I got credit cards lol so Idc that much about cost.. it's about what the mid range and spool time vs cost. If I'm gonna spend 1k and lose 20hp down low/mid to gain 20 peak.. I'd rather save the money and keep the mid range. I'm still new to evos just figured the 18k is pretty common and it wouldn't be hard to find a comparison running one one a stock manifold vs equal length headers. If equal length is only gonna lose a little down low and net me 10 or so hp over the rest of the rpm range.. then it might be worth it for me...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Stick with a ported stocker or get the cast manifold. Those options will keep your mid range power without breaking the bank.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 06:14 PM

I'd just stick with the stock, the gains would be very minimal.