Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help!! New Engine, no spark!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help!! New Engine, no spark!

Howdy everyone!

As the title states, I've had a new 2.2L Engine that was installed by a shop then (VERY LONG STORY) I got it back. After touching up some unfinished details, I crank it over and I'm getting everything but spark!

Now I've tested my coil packs (getting 12v and good ground but no pulse), injectors (check out good), Crank Angle Sensor (5v feedback and getting rpm on log when cranking). I re-checked to see that the cam timing was lined up and not loose. I've tested with different ECU's and different tunes.

I've done a bunch of little other test, but not worth mentioning. Nevertheless this issue is driving me bonkers and I figured I would reach out to the community to see if anyone had any other advice?! (I've tried searching the forums too, either someone had this problem and never posted the answer on their forum or the member was driving one day and it stopped working the next day (usually something breaks))
Old Aug 8, 2016, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Crank trigger wheel installed correctly / correct trigger wheel used? Could be that you CAS is getting voltage but not the correct timing. Did the builder use the correct crankshaft for your 2.2L build?

Otherwise you've thought of pretty much everything I've got.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

@Splattj - I know the right crankshaft was used for the build, I was thinking it might be the trigger wheel was installed wrong?, but I was trying to solve all other potential problems before having to pull the block again :[!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

*Update* I bought a new Crank Angle Sensor and no luck, still would just turn over for days, but it is not getting spark
Old Aug 11, 2016, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

My money is on wiring / ecu issue. I wouldn't pull the motor back out? Clearly no mechanical issue as it cranks and turns over fine. Either signal not getting to computer for timing or signal not getting from ecu to coil packs to fire. Test both wires.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

@Evo X, I hear ya. But I do have 2 Ecu's and tried various tunes and that didnt help. In addition, i have 2 wiring harness's and changing it out didnt work. Im guessing the Jack-wagons that re-put my car together didnt time it properly with the crank and cams
Old Aug 30, 2016, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

*update* I have re-done the timing and even installed a new timing chain and still no luck.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
You need to put the crank at TDC and check the reluctor wheel position vs another Evo and make sure it matches.

Also you need to check cam sensors to see if they are working and getting signal.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Have you done the simple things first? Like checking resistance in the plug wires? Making sure the plugs are actually getting power during cranking?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

@xBoostx - All sensors are receiving signals and are new, though I don't know what you mean about the reluctor wheel position

@Epyon - All the spark plugs are getting power and have a good ground during crank, just no pulse
Old Sep 7, 2016, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by badreligi0n
@xBoostx - All sensors are receiving signals and are new, though I don't know what you mean about the reluctor wheel position

@Epyon - All the spark plugs are getting power and have a good ground during crank, just no pulse
If the spark plugs get power, and they're connected to ground then there is no reason they wouldn't be sparking.

So your issues come to are they actually getting power to create a spark, and is the engine properly grounded for the spark's ground to get back to the battery.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 03:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Epyon
If the spark plugs get power, and they're connected to ground then there is no reason they wouldn't be sparking.

So your issues come to are they actually getting power to create a spark, and is the engine properly grounded for the spark's ground to get back to the battery.
The coils get three wires. Supply, ground, trigger. He is saying the coils have supply and ground, but they are not being triggered.

OP, have you used a NOID light to see if the injectors are firing? If you're not firing the injectors or coils, there is a crank sensor signal issue.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 06:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Pull the crank sensor and count the teeth on the ring.

I know of at least 2 evox's that had a 4b1 crank ring installed..
Old Sep 11, 2016, 06:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Code:
http://******************/forums/topic/21261-4b10-with-evo-x-crankshaft-issue/?do=findComment&comment=314489
*** == Project Lancer .Net

Argh so annoying.. stupid forum filter

Check the image comparison out.. same number of teeth but 180degrees opposed..
The following users liked this post:
badreligi0n (Sep 16, 2016)
Old Sep 13, 2016, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
http://project-lancer.net/forums/top...nkshaft-issue/

Here is a link to the thread Tephra is talking about. Copy and and paste into your address bar, then remove the hyphon from between project and lancer...
The following users liked this post:
badreligi0n (Sep 16, 2016)

Quick Reply: Help!! New Engine, no spark!