Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Head gasket question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Head gasket question

I want to preface the following with saying I'm probably paranoid but I'm a believer of better safe than sorry. I live in NJ and this state likes to dump tons of salt on the road during winter even when there appears to be no ice or inclement weather. I took a trip to my father's house this weekend and I park my Evo X outside (Typically it's garage kept).

It rained last night and into this morning, and I started the car this morning with no issues but noticed an oil leak in his driveway. Note: my garage spot where I park the car typically has no oil leaks. This could have been someone else's car but it got my attention as I backed the car up to the garage. I popped the hood and noticed there was an odd layer of spray on the valve cover. I'm thinking it's an accumulation of the salt that has gotten into the engine bay and water from rain but with the oil leak I started thinking could there be a major leak or a head gasket issue.

I took the dipstick and oil cap off and they both look okay as I don't see any milky coloration and it just looks like oil. I even took the air filter off and noticed no oil or fluids. The coolant reservoir was filled to the correct level and I didn't notice any oddities with the color of it. I attached some pictures of the valve cover, oil cap, and dipstick. I'm fairly certain I'm just being paranoid but figured I'd get some opinions. I'm was planning on getting a CBRD RBX Twinscroll kit soon so I obviously want to make sure I don't have any issues and/or should do a leakdown test. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Head gasket question-img_0287.jpg   Head gasket question-img_0289.jpg   Head gasket question-img_0290.jpg   Head gasket question-img_0292.jpg   Head gasket question-img_0295.jpg  

Old Jan 2, 2017, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Looks good to me sir.

Oil in water becomes real milky.

I think your paranoid
Old Jan 2, 2017, 01:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
That part of the plastic cover is so far away from your actual headgasket. You are being paranoid.

If you did have a HG leak it would be all down the side of the block and a leak that large you would notice in how the car runs.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
^This and possible smoke,over heating, misfires
Old Jan 3, 2017, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
If it dissolves in water it is more then likely salty road spray..... taste test?

............. just kidding.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I figured. Thanks for the input guys.