Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Activated Cutout

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by WW14
Little update, I installed the test pipe along with some other stuff yesterday. Cutout looks amazing and install was really straight forward. Having a problem hitting target boost and boost is stopping at ~10psi.

I think I got a bad cobb 3 port boost solenoid and plan on getting it replaced along with looking at some other stuff if that turns out not to be the problem. Once I get everything running smooth again ill update this with a video of sound for the test pipe.
Does yours look the same as Spartan's with the new, short tube instead of the long tube pictured on the ER site?

If you wanted to tune the wastegate opening you could install a manual bleed like we did in the old days.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
Does yours look the same as Spartan's with the new, short tube instead of the long tube pictured on the ER site?

If you wanted to tune the wastegate opening you could install a manual bleed like we did in the old days.

I'm going to try to figure out my boost issue first and then deal with the wastegate. I'm only hitting 10psi so I can hear it already but still not fully open since it's not hitting the 12 psi to fully open the wastegate
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Spartan716
Yes. Going from a stock cat to test pipe
which boost line did you tap into for it?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to add a little insight after driving around for a week, probably 400 miles. The spring in the WG that ER sent is pretty much perfect. Once in a while it opens up while scooting around town by "accident". I'm getting better at figuring out how to make it open exactly when I want. But I really wouldn't want it to open any sooner or later.

The problem, as I'm sure you can imagine, you gotta hit 9+psi to get loud. When you shift, you drop out of boost. It takes a good half + second after you shift and go back to WOT for the WG to open again. It makes it sound as if you have a loud *** exhaust and don't know how to shift quickly. There is no way around this.

So now when I leave cars and coffee and wanna rip ***, everyone will think I can't shift for sh*t Not really a big deal I guess. I just hate to show any weakness to the Subie bitc*es and import haters. On the other hand, I could stomp the sh*t out of most of them so, let them think I suck. Just an FYI if you are considering this setup.
There's an easy solution for this; NLTS. You're welcome.

I personally didn't want to be stupid loud every time I touched boost, so I opted for the QTP Electric Cutout and love it. That way I can also fully close it within town and not get bothered by local authorities (or when zooming around at night).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 08:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Just to add a little insight after driving around for a week, probably 400 miles. The spring in the WG that ER sent is pretty much perfect. Once in a while it opens up while scooting around town by "accident". I'm getting better at figuring out how to make it open exactly when I want. But I really wouldn't want it to open any sooner or later.

The problem, as I'm sure you can imagine, you gotta hit 9+psi to get loud. When you shift, you drop out of boost. It takes a good half + second after you shift and go back to WOT for the WG to open again. It makes it sound as if you have a loud *** exhaust and don't know how to shift quickly. There is no way around this.

So now when I leave cars and coffee and wanna rip ***, everyone will think I can't shift for sh*t Not really a big deal I guess. I just hate to show any weakness to the Subie bitc*es and import haters. On the other hand, I could stomp the sh*t out of most of them so, let them think I suck. Just an FYI if you are considering this setup.

Sounds like you do need to shift faster. My car see full boost recovery in .3 seconds. There is almost no hesitation in my 25psi wastegate opening.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Built a setup like this for my Evo 9. It was definitely loud when the wastegate opened up. Ended up switching to an electric cutout because I really only wanted it for taking long trips. So I have a wastegate and cutout available if anyone wants to pm me about it.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by villajer
I was also interested into the ER Cutout until recently, opted to go testpipe stock exhaust for now. If it's possible, can you guys who got it post vids of it in action? the ER vid didn't really go full WOT for a long time.. he just "tickled it a bit"
figured out the boost issue, had a leak from the uicp, I replaced the gasket and reinstalled and everything is good now. It sounds awesome at WOT and plan to put that video on here probably tomorrow or early on next week
Old Mar 23, 2017, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good to know about this setup, someone I'm tuning wants this exact combination so I'll send them the links!
Old May 28, 2017, 02:33 AM

Does the solenoid require a boost line to activate it?
If so, you can make this rpm based by utilising the secondary BCS, then it will only receive pressure when you tell to.
That is what I have and it is brilliant.
I used to have it direct and it opened at 12psi, but when trying to accelerate slowly or cruise around quietly, it would always open accidentaly and annoyed me, then I plumbed the vacuum line through the secondary BCS to only let it open when I tell it to.
Utilising the gear based boost control, I have set 1st-4th gear to 100% at 3000rpm, then 4000rpm in 5th gear.
Also tuning 5th gear boost at the same time to ramp up slower to eliminate low rpm nock when being lazy and passing in 5th wide open.
It is an absolute joy to drive now.
Old May 29, 2017, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this installed in my car and I love it. Stock ride when just doing the DD but when I go WOT its mad loud. I get compliments about it all the time. I know a few people now considering going with my setup because its the best of both worlds. Quiet DD but crazy loud when you WOT. I'm currently running this setup:

K&N Typhoon 69-6546TWR Air Intake System
AMS Wide Mouth Downpipe

Team English Racing Boost Activated Test Pipe
3" ETS Intercooler w/ UICP & LICP
Competition Clutch Stage 3 Segmented Ceramic Clutch Kit
Competition Clutch Ultra Lightweight Flywheel
Street Tune

Old May 31, 2017, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
yea, i love the split personality of a quiet cat back and dumps/this cutout. With a press of the pedal you can scare the crap out of someone haah.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ddlopresti
yea, i love the split personality of a quiet cat back and dumps/this cutout. With a press of the pedal you can scare the crap out of someone haah.
Yea I still got more going into her. I'm going to have a nice sleeper when I'm done. I'm in the process of buying a Garrett GTX 3582R turbo and 2150cc injectors. I don't plan to use the injectors at that rate but I'm getting such a good deal for them that I can't pass it up.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Good info guys. I've been wanting one of these for my ride too but just wasn't able to commit. Keep us updated on how long that spring lasts in the wg.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:37 AM

Yes that is exactly how it looks. I have this and have been running it for about a little over 2 and a half years. I love it!! It's exactly how I wanted it. During daily driving you just drive like you would going anywhere and you don't hear a thing. My BOV and turbo spool louder than my exhaust....until I WOT then it turns into a monster! It is LOUD!! I would compare it with the ETS V2 maybe even slightly louder. I get second looks every time I do a pull because you only see stock exhaust but it screams like a turbo back. I do not regret buying this AT ALL!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommyfacekicker
Good info guys. I've been wanting one of these for my ride too but just wasn't able to commit. Keep us updated on how long that spring lasts in the wg.
I just took my ER Boost activated test pipe off after about 4k miles - Its available for sale but i havent posted it anywhere yet, if your interested il cut a good deal.

I took it off because I actually missed the nice low rummble of a full 3" system. (got a resonated test pipe and a quiet cat back - its easy to live with)

PM if you want more info.

*Edit* Sorry - just saw your in a IX. Mine is for the X

Last edited by gazzer; Jan 22, 2018 at 10:41 PM. Reason: More detail in post.