Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Precision 5858 Turbo Issues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 05:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The PCV is not nearly as good at pulling pressure out of the crankcase as the intake pipe is. When I first put the red on my car, it smoked on decal and idle. No smoke at WOT.

It is also because turbo piston rings (not seals, they are literally called piston rings) work on differential pressure to keep the oil in the CHRA. At WOT, there is plenty of pressure in the turbine and comp housing to keep the oil in. When the throttle is closed, the engine is slowing down or at idle, there is little pressure in the housings. So, it doesn't take much crank case pressure to push oil out of the CHRA.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...eshooting.aspx
Old Jun 2, 2017, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Gotchya. Makes sense. Never had it happen to me, but I never had a BB turbo. Without going through the posts, does the OP have a catchcan between the valve cover and intake pipe? If so that can actually RESTRICT the flow depending on the design. If enlarging the valve cover port and hoses from the valve cover doesn't work, there is always the vac system that uses exhaust gas speed as a venturi in a spare O2 sensor port on the DP. Although I do not know how much that will pull under the conditions that are the problem. Vibrant makes at least the fittings I know.

~Jaraxle
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
So I decided im gonna order one of the CFM breathers. Here's my logic: breather has the pressure "ball" and doesn't effect vacuum/idle. So at idle it'll be like the breather isn't there. So my sealed catch will grab all the oil residue while in vacuum. My plan is to retain the stock vent for the crankcase. It will be connected directly to the Intake/Turbo with a 3/8 line, no catch can will be present. Plan is to have the Intake/Turbo pull as much pressure out of the valve cover as possible through the oem crankcase vent. My hope is that whatever pressure isn't able to be pulled through the small port will be vented through the CFM breather. If anyone has any objections to this I would love to hear it. Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2017, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
I like it. Please report the results once you know. Good luck!

~Jaraxle
Old Jun 2, 2017, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
I like it. Please report the results once you know. Good luck!

~Jaraxle
Will do
Old Jun 3, 2017, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

CFM Breather in flat black ordered. I'll report back once it comes in. Sucks I won't have it in time time for my tune come monday morning.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Update for those following this thread. I got my CFM breather and installed. Part looks amazing. Little info for those thinking of getting one. When you first install it, your car will not be happy. When the pressure ball is dry, it doesn't seal 100%. What I did was took the car out and did 5 pulls to get some oil up through the crankcase. After the 5 pulls I pulled the breather housing off and looked at it. I observed the pressure ball had a light layer of oil around it. I put the breather back on and started the car up. The idle/afr issues were gone, everything was back to normal. I'm very pleased with the product.

Here are some pics of the inside of the breather housing after the 5 pulls

The following users liked this post:
ETS Michael (Jun 12, 2017)
Old Jun 10, 2017, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
“not for sale/legal in california/carb states. Orders will be cancelled and refunded“

:-/
Old Jun 10, 2017, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
“not for sale/legal in california/carb states. Orders will be cancelled and refunded“

:-/
So I decide to "sell" mine cause I don't want it then decide to buy another......

Last edited by e_kobz; Jun 10, 2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Yes! I was waiting to see pics with the cover. That looks super clean! I like it.

- Robert
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Yes! I was waiting to see pics with the cover. That looks super clean! I like it.

- Robert
I feel like it looks so much better with the cover
The following users liked this post:
ETS Michael (Jun 12, 2017)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
Update for those following this thread. I got my CFM breather and installed. Part looks amazing. Little info for those thinking of getting one. When you first install it, your car will not be happy. When the pressure ball is dry, it doesn't seal 100%. What I did was took the car out and did 5 pulls to get some oil up through the crankcase. After the 5 pulls I pulled the breather housing off and looked at it. I observed the pressure ball had a light layer of oil around it. I put the breather back on and started the car up. The idle/afr issues were gone, everything was back to normal. I'm very pleased with the product.

Here are some pics of the inside of the breather housing after the 5 pulls

Why not add a bit of oil to the ball during the install? Granted the problem would soon be solved anyway with heavy throttle.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by moparfan
Why not add a bit of oil to the ball during the install? Granted the problem would soon be solved anyway with heavy throttle.
I was under the impression it should seal from the get go. It didn't, so I just did a few pulls, got some oil into the crank case and was good to go
Old Jun 22, 2017, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I got the setup posted by Robert at ETS installed with catch cans inline and the turbo has stopped smoking. But, now the car is running a bit rich and idles rough on startup. Trying to figure out the solution to that issue, I think it may be because if the hose pulling vacuum that I attached to the intake pipe. If that's pulling vacuum and is connected to the intake, is it robbing the engine of intake air? Also, and probably unrelated, my Innovate ethdnol content gauge has begun to cycle through random numbers, not sure what that's about
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Tune likely needs adjusted a bit because you changed how much air is going to the intake manifold for idle.

Quick Reply: Precision 5858 Turbo Issues