Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Universal catalytic converter?

Old Jul 15, 2017, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Universal catalytic converter?

The evo I recently purchased has no cat on the exhaust and is throwing multiple codes as a result. Unfortunately the county I live in requires emission testing. Long story short, I can't find a stock cat for sale and was wondering if a universal one would work?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Yes its just not gonna be bolt on. Gonna have to be welded. Idk what the smog laws are were your from. But as long as the catalyst does its job of converting photochemical gases into less harmful gases then you should be ok. But idk your local laws.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 09:40 AM

Well the previous owner cut the cat off and welded a straight pipe in its place so that's not a big deal. I guess my question is... will it correct the codes?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 05:54 PM

Would a 2.0 lancer cat work?

Would an 08+ lancer cat work?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:28 AM
c08

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe the Ralliart and Evo have the same OEM cat (I know aftermarket ones are interchangeable between the two). I doubt the NA lancers are the same.

If an aftermarket high flow cat will pass the emissions test it might be a good option. They should just bolt on in place of the test pipe (versus having to weld a universal one). You might need a spacer for the o2 sensor to keep the codes away though.

Do you know which tests they specifically they do (e.g. obd2, visual, sniffer)? Knowing that will probably help you figure out the best option.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:35 AM

They do ODB2 and gas cap. I've had them look under the car on one of my two other vehicles this year. I'll have to have the cat welded anyways because the previous owner didn't use a test pipe and welded a straight pipe in place.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:48 AM
c08

Did they actually weld the test pipe onto the downpipe and cat back, or did they just cut the cat off and weld a straight pipe into that section in its place?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:19 PM

Cut the cat off and welded a straight pipe.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:38 PM
c08

Unless they actually welded it to the downpipe and/or cat back you should be able to remove that section and replace it with an aftermarket HFC (which replaces that whole section). If they welded it to either or both of those then yeah you'd either have to weld a cat in or replace any sections that are welded together (which would of course be more work and money).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 07:43 AM

no its welded so ill have to have it cut out and rewelded.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 05:50 PM

This is what's going on under the car. It has an AMS down pipe with a man o2 bung and about 8 inches later there is a gabbed up pipe with another o2 bung with a spacer. Well the spacer didn't work because I have a cel. If I can do anything to notinstall a cat I will but I have to get rid of the cel for emissions.

Old Jul 24, 2017, 09:02 AM
c08

Well I mean it looks like an OEM or aftermarket catted pipe for the Evo X would bolt on (to the downpipe side in the picture at least) without needing to weld.

If you don't want to go that route though maybe try different inserts with the spacer. I know the vibrant spacer comes with a number of different size inserts. I've only looked into using spacers with a high flow cat though so I don't know how effective they are with test pipes. You might be able to find more info searching around on here.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 09:16 AM

The front is bolted on and the back is actually welded. I am going to try a different spacer in hopes the light will go away so I don't have to get a cat.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Run as long of a spacer as you can. Mine is probably 8" or so long in an L shape. No CEL, and it's fully catless. Just passed an plug in emissions test a few months ago, all my emissions readiness monitors were set and as far as the ECU & their machines were concerned, the stock cat was there
Old Jul 25, 2017, 05:53 AM

The spacer on the car was just a spacer with the bottom drilled out. I added another one with the smaller hole onto that and reset the ECU. I just need to drive it and see if it works. If it doesnt then I guess ill have to try the L shaped.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Universal catalytic converter?