Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Injector noise or a bigger problem?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injector noise or a bigger problem?

So I've searched and searched about the infamous ticking noise our cars can develop. But just to be sure I wanted to see what everyone else thinks. The car is pretty quiet on a cold start but once it warms up it has a pretty audible ticking sound. Obviously it's not loud enough to hear while driving but idling it's audible. Go through a drive through and such it's a bit more noticeable as the sound is bouncing off the wall next to me. I did the screwdriver trick, where I used it to try and pinpoint where the sound is coming from and it seems like it's coming from the injector area. What does everyone else think? Am I just being too paranoid and overreacting? I just don't want a smaller problem now to become a bigger problem down the road.

Cold start video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhqf...ature=youtu.be

Warmed up video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJOT...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Grigz; Sep 24, 2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: video imbed isn't working for me
Old Sep 24, 2017, 05:11 PM

Btw, AFRs are perfect. Driveability is fine. Pulled spark plugs today and they look perfect. Only thing I can come up with is timing chain stretch/Cam gear issue or just making typical Evo noise.

Any ideas?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:17 PM

No one has any thoughts?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I almost wanna say it sounds like mine. I suspect it's the valve lash/tappets on mine, if I end up doing cams/timing chain I will know for sure this winter when it's apart. It's been this way for a while now, hasn't gotten worse or better. Noise disappears around 3500-4000 and the engine happily winds out to 8000.

Instead of the screwdriver, perhaps find a mechanics stethoscope - or a 2' piece of hose. Hold one end to your ear and the other end guide it around the engine and troll around to help pinpoint it.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by six40
I almost wanna say it sounds like mine. I suspect it's the valve lash/tappets on mine, if I end up doing cams/timing chain I will know for sure this winter when it's apart. It's been this way for a while now, hasn't gotten worse or better. Noise disappears around 3500-4000 and the engine happily winds out to 8000.

Instead of the screwdriver, perhaps find a mechanics stethoscope - or a 2' piece of hose. Hold one end to your ear and the other end guide it around the engine and troll around to help pinpoint it.
That’s what’s strange about mine. Once you rev it a little the noise is basically gone. It doesn’t get louder hardly at all. I have a super quiet exhaust and even still you can’t hear it. While driving, even cruising at 1.8-2k RPMs you can’t hear it. Besides the noise it idles perfect. But it does have me worrying.