Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X FE goes BOOM!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 03:58 PM
FJT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X FE goes BOOM!

My 2015 FE had:

ETS Intercooler
UR testpipe
UR catback
Grimmspeed Boost controller
FIC1650cc injectors
Aem 320 fuel pump
Bluetooth Flex kit
Pro tuned

ive had an issues in every gear at 5500rpm. 1st thru 5th. While driving at wot or nearly wot the car would hit this rpm in every gear and it felt as if the car was hitting launch control and would stop accelerating.... unfortunately this did not happen everytime. But after each time it would happen id take it to my tuner but they were unable to recreate the situation. Ive even sat in the passenger side and him go through all the gear WOT and it was fine.

Now ive had the issue on and off for 4k miles(orm since my car had 9k miles total on it). On saturday it did it again and after driving around slowly i tried accelerating again. And i threw a rod and broke the block. Complete catastrophic damage.

My tuner was unable to tell me why this happened. Can anyone assist? im very curious if anyone else had this problem.

Last edited by FJT; Dec 14, 2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 04:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I don't have a solution for you, but why the giant injectors and fuel pump when the rest of your mods are 3 mild bolton's?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 04:56 PM
FJT

Future proofing. Didnt want to buy anything twice just in case i wanted to go big turbo/built motor
Old Dec 13, 2017, 05:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Do you have a wideband gauge? Any idea what the AFR's looked like when the car would hit this mysterious "launch control" area?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with warmmilk.

The pump is fine and good insurance, but the 1600cc injectors are out of place for the mods. I think this was the root of your problem. Have someone look at all your tuning tables between 5000 and 6000 rpms. Start there. May be a bad relay, check them.

That is terrible to hear man, very sorry to hear.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 08:13 AM
FJT

Originally Posted by Pal215
Do you have a wideband gauge? Any idea what the AFR's looked like when the car would hit this mysterious "launch control" area?
I have aem boost and wideband gauges also. A mod i forgot was a bluetooth flex fuel kit. While i was testing to see then issue in every gear i was also looking at my gauges. Afr's seemed fine around 12-13 and boost didnt go above 26lbs.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 08:20 AM
FJT

Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
I agree with warmmilk.

The pump is fine and good insurance, but the 1600cc injectors are out of place for the mods. I think this was the root of your problem. Have someone look at all your tuning tables between 5000 and 6000 rpms. Start there. May be a bad relay, check them.

That is terrible to hear man, very sorry to hear.
Hey thanks for the input. Im wondering since the car is tuned the injector size should'nt have been that much of issue as far as i know. Could you elaborate on the way the injectors would be the issue?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by FJT
I have aem boost and wideband gauges also. A mod i forgot was a bluetooth flex fuel kit. While i was testing to see then issue in every gear i was also looking at my gauges. Afr's seemed fine around 12-13 and boost didnt go above 26lbs.
AFR's of 12 - 13 are pushing it towards the lean side under boost. 1600cc injectors are well within what is appropriate for a 320 lph pump. A good tuner will know how to tame those injectors so that the driving behavior of the car is stable and AFR's are accurate. So you're right, this should not have been a problem. I would have done the same thing as you and bought larger injectors for future proofing.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FJT
Hey thanks for the input. Im wondering since the car is tuned the injector size should'nt have been that much of issue as far as i know. Could you elaborate on the way the injectors would be the issue?
The injectors are only playing a part of the issue. Tuning the larger injectors requires more time. Sometimes tuning time is limited and some parts of the power band do not get fully adjusted. You said the car had a hick-up around 5500 rpms. May be that zone was lean or the timing was higher. But it all comes down to why the car did not like something at that rpm range. Eventually it let go. The car gives you signs by acting up or making sound changes or smells that is rich or lean. But it definitely gived you plenty of warning. Not blaming you or tuner or anything.

Remember that adding 1600 cc injectors to a car with a few mods to have them already there for a future upgrade was not wise.

I made 360 whp at 28.4 psi on a DW265 pump a few years ago when I was on pump gas on my current X.

Now I make 393 whp at 28.6 psi on e85 with 1000cc injectors.

I am very sad this happened to you. I have blown my old Evo 8 2 times. The first time it was my fault for running more boost than my tuner recommended. The second time the car gived me warnings too. I did not listen to them. We learn by experience. That is why I am giving you my input.

Build it simple but effective. You do not need the best to run good. I had a 15K engine build that second time and it blew up at 22 psi in my logs. So do it right but keep it real
Old Dec 14, 2017, 09:37 PM
FJT

Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
The injectors are only playing a part of the issue. Tuning the larger injectors requires more time. Sometimes tuning time is limited and some parts of the power band do not get fully adjusted. You said the car had a hick-up around 5500 rpms. May be that zone was lean or the timing was higher. But it all comes down to why the car did not like something at that rpm range. Eventually it let go. The car gives you signs by acting up or making sound changes or smells that is rich or lean. But it definitely gived you plenty of warning. Not blaming you or tuner or anything.

Remember that adding 1600 cc injectors to a car with a few mods to have them already there for a future upgrade was not wise.

I made 360 whp at 28.4 psi on a DW265 pump a few years ago when I was on pump gas on my current X.

Now I make 393 whp at 28.6 psi on e85 with 1000cc injectors.

I am very sad this happened to you. I have blown my old Evo 8 2 times. The first time it was my fault for running more boost than my tuner recommended. The second time the car gived me warnings too. I did not listen to them. We learn by experience. That is why I am giving you my input.

Build it simple but effective. You do not need the best to run good. I had a 15K engine build that second time and it blew up at 22 psi in my logs. So do it right but keep it real

Yea i just wonder why was the issue sporadic. I would think if it was the tune it wouldve been everytime i reached that rpm with that amount of throttle. It just sucks that every time it happened id bring it in to my tuner the next day or so and the issue wouldnt occur.

Could the issue be from something mechanical?

As far as the injectors, i was advised it was better to go with 1650's than 1000's or 1300's as my tuner has a lot of experience with those and was able to have stock like idle.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
12-13 is real lean.
Lean plus knock.
Boom.

Im assuming your on e85 becuse you had the flex fuel thingyy
Old Dec 15, 2017, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Most e85 flex fuel kit sensors have a poor sample rate and can not adjust fast enough to accurately read poorly mixed fuel in the tank - I wonder if this is the root cause of your issue.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 08:21 PM
FJT

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
12-13 is real lean.
Lean plus knock.
Boom.

Im assuming your on e85 becuse you had the flex fuel thingyy

I didnt realize that was lean at WOT. I didnt get blinking check engine light during this situation. I thought if it was knock the SES light would blink....
Old Dec 15, 2017, 08:23 PM
FJT

Originally Posted by static_set
Most e85 flex fuel kit sensors have a poor sample rate and can not adjust fast enough to accurately read poorly mixed fuel in the tank - I wonder if this is the root cause of your issue.
Would it make a difference if its only been driven on e85. I checked my bluetooth app and it had the ethanol content at e78-e81. I havent put 93 in awhile.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 09:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by FJT
I didnt realize that was lean at WOT. I didnt get blinking check engine light during this situation. I thought if it was knock the SES light would blink....
Don't trust knock light with E85. You can go lean enough to melt things before any knock is registered. Over 12 is pretty lean for E85. 13 is way too lean.

Also, to your original question, it sounds like you are hitting fuel cut. Tune needs some loving. Surprising that your tuner doesn't know that.