Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

What happen to all the stok housing bigger turbos?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What happen to all the stok housing bigger turbos?

I been out of the evo game for about 4 years now and i'm about to get back into one. But back then everyone was running the stock housing turbos like the cbrd bbk and the forced performance green/red/black turbos over t3 turbos. Now it seems to my like no one makes stock hosing type turbos anymore. What happened? Does every one that want to run a bigger turbo all just go with t3 manifold and t3 garrett and precision turbos now??
Old Jan 4, 2018, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
All of the turbos you mentioned are still available and lots of people run them. Some of the FP stuff is a little bit more made-to-order on a limited basis, but they're still around doing their thing - from what I understand new stock turbocharger cores are a little harder to come by these days.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Part of it is that entry level T3/T4 turbo kits are less than $1000 more expensive than going the stock housing route and once you factor in costs of a downpipe and tubular manifold it gets really close if you had to buy everything new. A good example is an MHI-18k turbo with downpipe and tubular manifold compared to a CBRD kit using the EFR7163 turbo.

If you really want to go stock frame turbo upgrades then FP MHI-18k, Blouch, or ATP are the main choices that seem to be actively supported and if you want to upgrade your stock turbo Forced Performance will rebuild it into a Journal Bearing Green, Red, or Black if you look at the upgrades and rebuilds section of their website.