Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

18k Turbo Issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
18k Turbo Issues

I have the 18K on my Evo X for around 1k miles. Since i installed the Turbo, it always made a whistling noise when cold and then the noise went away as everything warmed up, i thought that was normal. Now the sound changed, at first i thought i had a boost leak somewhere as it sounds like something is leaking. We tested the whole system and there is no boost leak. Today while driving the car feels flat and its not hitting hard like before. I can still see its making boost, but it doesnt feel the same as before.

Not sure what is the life time of an 18K turbo, but i sure hope its more than 1k miles.

What to do now?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Whistling noise when cold and DOING WHAT... WOT? Idle? Just tooling around? When you drove it today describe when it made what sounds. The 18k is OEM MHI quality. If there is a problem it was either oil contamination into the CHRA or some other install mistake. If your reaching boost targets, what is the ECU telling you? If you have upwards WGDC control, has that risen? Are your fuel trims looking good?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Whistling noise when cold and DOING WHAT... WOT? Idle? Just tooling around? When you drove it today describe when it made what sounds. The 18k is OEM MHI quality. If there is a problem it was either oil contamination into the CHRA or some other install mistake. If your reaching boost targets, what is the ECU telling you? If you have upwards WGDC control, has that risen? Are your fuel trims looking good?
Yup Turbo is gone. After my post today i did some more driving and the maximum boost reached was 22psi. I didnt have a chance to check WGDC control readings but air/fuel is richer than usual going down to 10.9-11.2. Target boost has always been 26psi and since we tested the system and there is no leak anywhere, only one reason for such a boost drop and weird nosies under boost only.

No installation or oiling problems as the shop who did the install is a known reputable shop that works on Evos and STis for a living here.

I already asked the shop to take the turbo off for a closer inspection and i will wait until Monday and see what Forcedfed would do. I went with the 18k because i wanted reliability and managed only 2k km on the Turbo which is around 1300-1400miles.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 03:19 AM
Evolving Member

Update:

Turbo is fine and it turned out to be the stock manoifold cracked. Im thinking to get another stock manifoild as this one lasted from 2011 until today which is good enough unless someone has a really good recommendation for a stock like manifold that is higher quality.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MAP Cast manifold is reliable and very stout - OEM appearing also. (kinda)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gazzer
MAP Cast manifold is reliable and very stout - OEM appearing also. (kinda)
Thanks, i spoke to few shops and they recommended going with another OEM manifold for my setup especially if i wanted to keep the heat shield. Anyways i ordered another OEM manifold.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by LSs1Power
Thanks, i spoke to few shops and they recommended going with another OEM manifold for my setup especially if i wanted to keep the heat shield. Anyways i ordered another OEM manifold.
MAP cast manifold all day long over the stock manifold. I’m running a 18k/MAP mani setup and I have 0 issues. I also retained the OEM heat shield
Old Mar 14, 2018, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz

MAP cast manifold all day long over the stock manifold. I’m running a 18k/MAP mani setup and I have 0 issues. I also retained the OEM heat shield
Hmm, i wish you replied earlier. I will call the shop to see if they sent it or not.

What did you do to install the OEM heat shield?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
The MAP cast manifold has provisions for the stock heat shield. Just bolt it on as if it's going over the stock manifold.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you guys for the advice. I managed to switch my order from OEM manifold to MAP Cast manifold before it was shipped 🙏🏻

Did you guys had to adjust the tune after the manifold?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I cracked two OEM manifolds on my first X before going with the MAP and I was only running 22psi. No change in the tune was necessary when it was changed out and the stock heat shielding fits more or less.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GotKT?
I cracked two OEM manifolds on my first X before going with the MAP and I was only running 22psi. No change in the tune was necessary when it was changed out and the stock heat shielding fits more or less.
Is spool any better?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LSs1Power

Is spool any better?
Didn't really notice any change at all, other than running lots of track days for over a year without cracking (before I totaled the car).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Just stick another stock manifold on it. It'll last another few years, and they're only $100 used...lol. I would also thoroughly check the turbine housing for cracks.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also going with the MAP everyone says the stock ones always cracks or already has a tiny hairline crack that'll just give out in due time. Guess Mitsubishi figured people will mod the crap out of the cars anyway so why bother on long term use.

Quick Reply: 18k Turbo Issues