Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ultimate Racing Exhaust Install w/ Stock Cat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2009, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Racing Exhaust Install w/ Stock Cat

I finished installing an Ultimate Racing dual exit exhaust this weekend. I ordered mine as just the cat-back (keeping the stock cat for now), with the mini-muffler mid-pipe. I hadn't found any install threads on just the cat-back system, so I'm posting my experience.

Let me first say that I'm very happy with the turnout, the exhaust has a very deep throaty sound, looks really nice, yet isn't too loud. I did have a couple of issues during my install that I'm documenting to help anyone out.

First problem I had was that the new flange onto the cat interfered with the heat shield. I tried to bend the shield back, but wound up breaking the tiny little rusted bolts off. To keep the shield from rattling, I then just took a cut off wheel to the lower heat shield (see below). I was surpised how rusty everything got for only a 1 year old car (they oversalt our roads).
Ultimate Racing Exhaust Install w/ Stock Cat-heat-shield-modification2.jpg

Next problem was a mistake on my part. The pipe that connects the back mufflers to the mid-pipe can be installed backwards. Everything will fit up, but the mufflers will be slightly cocked such that the passenger side tip sticks out an inch or so farther than the driver's side. If anyone installs their exhaust and notices this condition, just flip that pipe end for end (its not quite symmetric). The correct tip position looks like below.
Ultimate Racing Exhaust Install w/ Stock Cat-muffler-portion2.jpg
Ultimate Racing Exhaust Install w/ Stock Cat-correct-installed-tip-length.jpg
The last problem involves the seal between the cat and the mid-pipe. After starting the car up, I noticed this connection was leaking water. I tried tightening it up more, but same problem. The problem comes from using the supplied gasket, which is bigger than the original gasket. This wouldn't be a problem if you replaced the cat, but will leak with the factory convertor. Using the original gasket remedies this issue.

As I said before, I really like the result of the exhaust. The tips look very nice, not too thin. Everything looks very good, and the exhaust sounds great. Hopes this helps!
Old Jun 14, 2009, 08:10 PM

Post some sound clips if possible. As compared to stock, how is the sound?
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

i'm not good with old school cars..but is that a chevelle? it looks nice
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics of Chevelle now!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

That Chevelle looks serious! I demand a mod list!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Pics of Chevelle now!
Same thing I was thinking.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:18 PM

Okay, I didn't realize the old girl was peaking in the background.
It's a 70 El Camino SS. I put a 427 BBC in it with alum. heads, 6-71 Dyer blower, TH400 with a manual valve body, 12 bolt rear end with 3.90 gears, and a bunch of other stuff.

I drove it college with the 427 in it, then recently added the supercharger about a year ago. Haven't taken it to the strip yet (still working on the cage), but it should be low 10s without a problem.
Ultimate Racing Exhaust Install w/ Stock Cat-elky2.jpg

Ultimate Racing Exhaust Install w/ Stock Cat-elky-eng2.jpg
Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nex1
Post some sound clips if possible. As compared to stock, how is the sound?
I'll work on getting some sound clips, but it looks like rain this whole week.

The sound is quite a bit louder at idle, but not that noticeable at cruising speed. No where near the level where you'll attract the police.

I'm very suprised with how low the pitch is of the exhaust now. It's got a real rumble to it that I wouldn't think possible with a 2.0L. Reminds me more of a straight six sound (possibly even a small v8).

If you're used to the sound of American cars (I fall in this category), this does a pretty good job of getting you there.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

I have thesame issue, I have the full UR TBE (02housing dp, testpipe w/ mini muffler, dual catback.) after installing it with the gasket they provided, its leaking water when i started the engine. i dont know if its going to be problem coz i heard someone complaining about it until now.
i had my UR exhaust for about 4 months now and i still water leaking on the connections evrytime i start my car.
factory gaskets are smaller thats why i dont use it.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:11 AM

are the tips lined up like this even after correction? or are yours pretty flush?

Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

I've got the same exhaust and love it as well, as for the pass. side tip mine sticks out abit like in the photo abuve...might have to give the flipping the pipe a try...
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Ur or bushur?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Chevelle

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
That Chevelle looks serious! I demand a mod list!

coulda' had a v8.....lol. Blowers are cool. I don't care who you are, they are cool.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Djstorm100
Ur or bushur?
Its UR exhaust.
I'm going to do the opposite, leave stock exhaust with just a mini muffler cat, I wonder what flows better, I bet my way.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by nrgizeman
are the tips lined up like this even after correction? or are yours pretty flush?
Hmmm...Your exhaust doesn't look like it's connected the same. Mine has an extra bolted connection going into the mufflers, you can see that in my second picture. Yours is missing that set of flanges, and is instead just welded there.

My two sides look identical now. My tips looked about like your pic does before I flipped the pipe, although I couldn't look from underneath (no lift).

I tried tightening in all sorts of sequences, and that didn't help. Since your's looks like it is connected differently, I don't know what to make of that.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Racing Exhaust Install w/ Stock Cat