Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

My big turbo build

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 04:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad it was something small. Did you get a chance to do a free pulls yet?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Nice build and numbers! Curious GTX3582? Hotside?
p.s. I wouldn’t use the Hobbs switch wired direct to the pump. Use the Hobbs to turn on a 40 amp Automotive relay, then the relay turns on the pump. I have seen the Hobbs switches drop voltage and get warm after they get old. M2C
Old Dec 7, 2018, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on your build. It's to cold right now to do pulls and ****ty MD drivers. Every day its been like 35 degree during the day and 30 degree at night.

Last edited by laxhero2; Dec 7, 2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Dec 10, 2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DjEclipse
Glad it was something small. Did you get a chance to do a free pulls yet?

I've been able to make some low boost E pulls, yeah! The car pulls great, a lot smoother than I expected give the 2.0L and big turbo. Spins through second on low boost with these junk tires on the car and the frigid cold weather in MD right now. I cruised slow the other night and nothing wanted to play, was hoping to get a video on here running something to give it a relative look.

I"m just going to get a tank or two more of driving on it then order my wheels/tires I want on there to get some stick and then figure out how to store some E85 at my house to save me trips to the only pump around town.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 03:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a really great thread @md_evo_x i live in northern va close to DC getting my VIII back this week! Your car has 2 maps or is it flex fuel? I am currently running to maps 93 and e85 and was wondering how is the consistency of the e85 you get. I'd like to get a e85 gauge reader.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:43 PM

I'm running four maps, low/high boost e/pump. I'm going to flex fuel in a few months but with the Maryland weather I'm just going to put the car away for awhile and worry about some other expensive habits I have lol. I like the idea of flex fuel for safety in the tune for the engine, and ease of fueling based on availability, etc.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:48 PM

Update:

Car has been driving pretty well! 657awhp and 448awtq on e85 on 28 pounds. I'll try and post some videos of pulls against other cars as the opportunities present themselves. What I've learned so far is that 5th is terrible in the EVO X.

I could go larger turbo, but I really think this is the cap for a turbo with lag/response time for the 2.0L. I'm going to leave it this way for awhile and just drive it. Wheels/tires next for some stick.

Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:55 PM

2-5 pull
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Trimmed EVO X Pull .mov (4.71 MB, 0 views)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by md_evo_x
Update:

Car has been driving pretty well! 657awhp and 448awtq on e85 on 28 pounds. I'll try and post some videos of pulls against other cars as the opportunities present themselves. What I've learned so far is that 5th is terrible in the EVO X.

I could go larger turbo, but I really think this is the cap for a turbo with lag/response time for the 2.0L. I'm going to leave it this way for awhile and just drive it. Wheels/tires next for some stick.
Yea, every time in the front straight at my local track, I am jamming down the front straight and when I go into 5th it's just blehhh.... and I am revving to 8800rpm. You can see it in the video below.

I def wish I upgraded my FD while I was doing my motor build.

Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by md_evo_x
2-5 pull
LOL, just pull through that misfire and knock at the beginning. ;P
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Car bowlers never let up.................

Old Jan 7, 2019, 04:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Theres a shorter 5th gear available. Ratio is .857:1. Changes rpm drop from 5209 to 5865 @7500 rpm shift.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Is that misfire or the traction control kicking in and cutting power?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 05:07 PM

The car is so sensitive to knock, rule from the tuner is if it pulls smooth and feels OK, and goes away on the shift, stay in it lol.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 05:36 PM

Couple updates for everyone..

Planning on going to Cars and Coffee in Hunt Valley Saturday 02/23 rain or shine and at the worst grabbing food at Iron Rooster if anyone local wants to meet up and ride up there.

Also, careful with shops in post build support. Shouldn't take over three weeks of attempting to call/text and wait to get some feedback to where I eventually just give up and contact another shop (who helps immediately.)

Car is doing great other than the weird situation where it feels like it has a misfire at WOT. If anyone has experienced this, let me know what you found if anything to resolve. I've already replaced all relays and fuses related with updated parts from Mitsubishi.

Quick Reply: My big turbo build