Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

rear half shaft knocking sound- help please.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rear half shaft knocking sound- help please.

Hello-

I have a 2011 MR. For about 9 months i have had a rotational knocking sound from the rear passenger half shaft area.
I could never figure it out and thought it could be many things. I then noticed one day grease/oil on the transfer case shaft housing and so i thought it was the seal.
Had the only Mitsubishi dealer replace rear axle seal MN 132370 plus refill oil. Well that was not it. They said they couldn't hear it when it was on the rack spinning. :-{

They mentioned it could be the hydro pump that sometimes fails and to just let it go until warning light if that is it.

So anyway, i am at a loss, If it is he hydro pump it seems to want to go on with this sound forever.

1- This sound is a rotational knocking sound, almost like a stone is caught in the hub and it is hitting it with every turn of the wheel/shaft. It is becoming progressively louder but not dramatically so.
2- It becomes noticeable above 30-40 mph and if you BRAKE it will STOP, so it has to be tied to that output shaft or hub.
3- The wheel is fine, not cracked etc.
4- No noticeable marks on the disc brake or anything that i think could be tied to the brakes.
5- No dash indicator lights.
6- I have about 70K on the car.

Any help or people that have had this in the past welcome. It is driving me crazy,
Old Aug 5, 2018, 01:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Jack the corner up, and grab the tire at the top and bottom, and try to rock is by pushing/pulling with you top and bottom hand, it shouldn't really budge. If it has free play, you need a wheel bearing. If that seems ok, take the brake caliper/rotor off that corner, inspect the ebrake and the wheel bearing/hub.