Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need some advice on what turbo to get

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal_AF
User "ddlopresti" is running the EFR 7670 I referenced earlier, and i looks like he just created a dyno results thread.

May want to ask him directly:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...70-93-e85.html

Thank you, I sent him a message. I've talked with some people with the 8374 and they love it and recommend it over the 7670. They say it would put less strain on my motor because I can hit those numbers without maxing the turbo out, whereas with the 7670 I would.

For reference my tuner said a 5858 makes 470whp on his MD I think this is why he told me to get a 6266 to break 500... I know a DJ is more accurate when it comes to readings, but I would love to break 500 on his dyno.
I'm trying not to get lost in the numbers game tho and focus more on what I personally would have more fun with, so hopefully if "ddlopresti" messages back it'll help make up my mind.

Btw guys I'm not exactly sure how to option out the kit. Like do I get the temperature coating on the hot parts, do I need different IC pipping (I'm on stock now so Ik I'll need aftermarket but I read somewhere that EFR pipping is different than stock)
I read problems with the springs in the wastegate, it's all confusing to me
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Who are you ordering the kit through? My EFR kit came with the lighter WGA's and I ended up needing to bump up to the heaver ones. It also came with upper/ lower IC piping and intake.

It's a big enough purchase to give whomever you are ordering through a call to make sure everything is legit.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Metal_AF
Who are you ordering the kit through? My EFR kit came with the lighter WGA's and I ended up needing to bump up to the heaver ones. It also came with upper/ lower IC piping and intake.

It's a big enough purchase to give whomever you are ordering through a call to make sure everything is legit.
How much was that for you? I'm not sure where I'm gonna get it from. I guess the top 3 places are Full Race, Moore and ETS right? My tuner usually buys a lot from ETS so he has a discount so probably through them
I'm not entirely sure
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mine was through Driven-Fabricaiton, but communication wasn't the best. Would probably go through ETS if I were you. ~$5k-ish with heat-shields and everything.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 04:10 PM

gtx3576r stock location direct bolton. I've got one brand new for ya
Old Sep 19, 2018, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas
gtx3576r stock location direct bolton. I've got one brand new for ya
Haha thanks but no thanks. I'm definitely going EFR route, just having a hard time deciding between the 7670 and 8374... wish they made one in the middle it would be exactly what I want :/
Old Sep 26, 2018, 02:57 PM

Just wanted to give an update that I made my decision last week. I went with an EFR 8374 IWG .92 A/R kit from Full Race! It was $5,700 but I think it'll be worth it. I was told it should get here within 5-6 weeks :/ my tuner is going to start my motor build next week I'll do my best to inform the community what my thoughts are with this turbo, as well as a dyno sheet so maybe one day it'll help someone with the same questions I had. Thank you everyone who replied.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Well how did it come out?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
How much power your looking to make on this kit ?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by newevoxguy
Well how did it come out?
Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
How much power your looking to make on this kit ?
Sorry for the wait. Anyways after about 11 weeks I FINALLY got the turbo kit from Full Race... I was very upset about that and that they wouldn't give me a discount or anything for waiting double the time they told me. They gave me a license plate holder though.. lol The parts are well made though and I am happy with them, just not the wait and no compensation.

My tuner just told me earlier this week that my car will be coming on the 9th and should be finished by the 12th, we'll see. I will have to break the motor in so he said he'll just tune it to waste gate, so whatever power it makes on that.

I've seen this turbo capable of 770whp on "BlackE" car, my motor isn't sleeved so I'm guessing somewhere around 600whp with room to play will be my kill tune. I'm just going to listen to what my tuner says as regards to pushing the motor
Old Jan 10, 2019, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Since you had everything apart, Why didnt you just sleeve it?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by DRAGHICI
Since you had everything apart, Why didnt you just sleeve it?
Because of the money to be straight up. This build has continued to get more expensive and it would be like another $2,500/3,000 and i'm already way over budget. I originally was just going to rebuild the motor (cause I blew it up) stock turbo and everything, just to get my car back. Deep down I've always wanted to build my evo into the internet monsters I always admired, so I started to convince myself I might as well do it now, then of course I should get a bigger turbo since I'm building it... Then my tuner convinced me I should just get a ETS turbo kit 6266 or 6466. Then after research I fell in love with the EFR's, then I realized I should really have cams.. and it goes on and on turning what I was ready to spend $5,000 initially to becoming a $15,000 build that wasn't exactly in my budget
Old Jan 11, 2019, 02:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
From your posts it sounds like your a newbie and your tuner is taking advantage of you, but I’m not 100% sure.
Anyways I found this price sheet online that you can compare.
GL!!
see link—>

http://www.simonsbalancing.com/hpi4.html

Remeber you got to pay to play too
Old Jan 11, 2019, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by DRAGHICI
From your posts it sounds like your a newbie and your tuner is taking advantage of you, but I’m not 100% sure.
Anyways I found this price sheet online that you can compare.
GL!!
see link—>

http://www.simonsbalancing.com/hpi4.html

Remeber you got to pay to play too

I have a lot getting done to my car, I am curious as to the prices on items I didn't order myself. He is my neighbor, our shop is side by side with his shop and he does seem like a good guy My turbo kit is about $6,000 which is 100% correct. The crank, cams, springs, ID1700s, clutch and brake pads I ordered myself was about $3,000. The only part I did not order myself was parts for the engine, remember my engine had rod knock so he has to replace anything related to oil as well as the rest of the components for a built engine, pistons, rods etc. That came out to $5,000 and it also included some other things like my 450 fuel pump, blow off valve and some misc stuff. I obviously know what pistons and rods are but I have no idea which ones to get, as well as all the gaskets, bearings and whatever else is needed so I left it to him. That's the only part I question but I don't remember if that included labor but I don't think so but maybe it does. So in parts alone I've spent $14,000. I do trust the guy, the price for the motor did seem a little high to me but he is reputable and I don't know everything that would be needed to fix and build my motor from the way it was.

Last edited by MannyEvoX; Jan 11, 2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 09:17 AM

Update: I talked to my tuner last night about sleeving and how much it would cost and to my surprise he said it would be about $600 for the sleeves and $500 to get machined. I'm not sure where the other price came from, maybe I misheard so I apologize for the sake of his reputation cause that would'nt be fair. Anyways he was happy with thinking about sleeving my motor and since it's relatively inexpensive compared to everything else I will be getting sleeves as well! Now I can really push the 8374 if I want to