Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

2008 EVO X GSR Transfer case leak

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 EVO X GSR Transfer case leak

Long story, dont know where to start. Basically I am trying to track down a leak in my transfer case, the t case was loose when i inspected it and i tightened all mounting bolts and other bolts. The case had been off before, so i am assuming poor previous owner or no loctite or something. I have filled it twice and it emptied it searching for the leak. Is it possible i put in too much fluid causing the leak? Or Are there particular spots to check? I bet there was some movement when it was loose, maybe the case is busted? I have been under it a few times. It only leaks after a drive when it is warm. It does not leak when the car is cold. I can drive a short distance, like half a mile and it wont leak after i park there. Thanks. Also, i replaced the driver side axle, but the leak is clearly coming from the passenger side or top, there is no fluid draining from the axle seal on the driver side or trans seal or whatever that would be.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 06:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Where is the fluid coming out of it at? If it's just "everywhere", you need to get is as clean as you can, hose it down with brake cleaner to get good and clean. Then see if you can see where the fluid is coming from.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 07:49 AM

I found the leak and its cracked, I found a t case semi local and am wondering now what is interchangeable. It is from a 2011 or 12 gsr. Mine is also a gsr, can i use any transfer case?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 09:25 AM
EvoM Guru

As long as it's an EvoX GSR tcase, it fits.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 09:23 AM

Okay so the leak is coming from the passenger side, the case itself isnt busted. It looks like its leaking from between the "joints" i will call it. So i tightened the bolt and put some jb weld over it as it has previous owner issues anyways...... It still leaks, is there a gasket for this spot where the case kinda splits? can i pull the entire t case and unbolt the front cover and re seal it?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:56 AM
EvoM Guru

The tcase is sealed by orings.

Why would you put JB weld on it?

It's sounds like you should send this out to be gone through and resealed.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 08:55 AM

Lets omit everything i said prior, I went for the cheap easy fix because i just assumed the case was busted due to previous owner putting on jb weld. So i pulled the case this weekend and the ACD piston seals crumbled away. Does anyone have any info on these? I want to make sure that is the part. Can this cause an external leak in the t case? i am confused on how they work. Just trying to figure out why my case was leaking from the joint that is in the center of the entire unit. I am planning on ordering a seal kit and the piston seal kit, any links or info on the piston kit? trying to see how the unit works.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:47 AM
EvoM Guru

The case sections are sealed with orings. I've seen a few leak from there. The orings just flatten out and harden over time.

The ACD piston seals won't cause an external leak, but they should be replaced if they fell apart so the ACD functions properly. And they can allow ATF to leak into the tcase which would be an issue, depending on which seal fails.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The case sections are sealed with orings. I've seen a few leak from there. The orings just flatten out and harden over time.

The ACD piston seals won't cause an external leak, but they should be replaced if they fell apart so the ACD functions properly. And they can allow ATF to leak into the tcase which would be an issue, depending on which seal fails.
this is the "middle section" of the case. You can see the rings or gaskets or whatever they are. Every o ring and seal kit i found only has like two seals on large o ring and on mid size one. What do i need to replace here?

Old Nov 19, 2018, 05:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Those two orings right there need replaced. Jacks sells them in a kit..
Old Nov 20, 2018, 04:24 AM

Yes, lol. I know they need replaced. I am asking which kit? Is this the one because it only comes with two seals, but one is significantly smaller than the other and these two seem to be the same size. https://www.jackstransmissions.com/c...d-piston-seals

and on this kit, it only comes with o rings and axle seals or something similar. https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...seal-kit-evo-x
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Not sure. I would call Jacks and ask because you're right. Those two orings look the same and the kit only comes with one big one.

You don't need ACD piston seals. Those are inside the ACD clutch unit and would not cause an external leak.

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/c...-case-seal-kit this is the kit you need. It looks the same as the one STM has, but a lot more expensive..
Old Nov 20, 2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Not sure. I would call Jacks and ask because you're right. Those two orings look the same and the kit only comes with one big one.

You don't need ACD piston seals. Those are inside the ACD clutch unit and would not cause an external leak.

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/c...-case-seal-kit this is the kit you need. It looks the same as the one STM has, but a lot more expensive..
i ordered this kit already, the picture i posted the piece requires two o rings and i can not find them. The large on in the kit doesnt go there.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 07:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Why dont you call Jacks as I suggested?