Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Go from TF06-18K to ETS 5858?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Go from TF06-18K to ETS 5858?

Hey there,

I've been driving on ~415whp for about 4 years, though the Evo is now a summer weekend warrior and no longer a daily ticket magnet. For some reason I got the itch for more power, mentally lusting after that magic 500. So, I called up the nice folks at English and talked over some details. Thing is, I'm not sure I'm ready to move away from pump gas, as E85 is scarce around here. So, we're looking at pump gas options. For the price of a new motorcycle, I could upgrade my 18K to a 5858 with the ETS turbo kit, fuel pump, and a new clutch. For a few thousand more, we could throw in a cam and valve springs. But, even then, I'm not sure I'd see the magic 500 given my otherwise stock block and the **** fuel we have around here.

So, never having driven an Evo with more power than my own, I wanted to ask... how is the driveability of the 5858 turbo? How does, say, 480whp feel compared to my embarrassing 415? Is it worth $10K? My use case is curvy mountain roads, and maybe an occasional autocross.

And, from a financial incentive, is there a market for a used 18K with a matching manifold, ETS downpipe, etc.?

These are late-night musings of a dude approaching a mid-life crisis, but I'd love to hear some opinions.

Thanks!

Last edited by Metal; Jan 29, 2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Should go with the gen2 5558. It flows a bit more air, and spools faster. If you do S2 cams you should get pretty damn close to 500whp. And yes, it will be a pretty decent difference.

I would say there is def a market for your current turbo setup. Probably get $1500-$1800 for turbo, DP, manifold, and intake.
The following users liked this post:
Metal (Jan 30, 2019)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Hm... I admit I'm a bit ignorant as to the turbo options, I can bring that up with English and get their thoughts. And yes, I was thinking of the S2 cams. One thing I want(ed) to figure out is if, one day, I decide to go to E85, am I going to be doing yet another turbo kit swap and throwing away more money. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that all the components could be kept, I'd just have to get the engine beefed up to handle the bigger power and torque of the ethanol tune?

I kinda wish I had gone with a bigger turbo when I got the 18K, but it's a well-performing little spooler, so I can't complain.

I really appreciate the feedback!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 03:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
ER has only done one car with the gen2 5558, but the tuner, Aaron, felt that it outperformed the 5858.

If you build the motor later, it's all about your power goals. That size turbo will make in the 600-650 whp range. Being a Vband turbo kit, you will be able to upgrade to I think up to a 6870 as long as you get the right compressor cover, which can make 900+. You can definitely move to a 6466 which will make in the 800whp range. So you have modularity built into that turbo kit for future upgrades without going to a whole new setup.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

That's really good info, thank you. I have a feeling I'm going to pursue this come April, and then start thinking about and planning for life on E85 down the road.

Much appreciated!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 07:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
My 5858 is way more responsive than I anticipated. It's a great turbo. The Gen 2 should be even better.

The non stock frame turbos make power much more easily compared. My 5858 made an easy 540whp at 24.5psi on E85 with pretty mild Kelford 214-b cams. Hell even 640whp was made pretty easily at 29psi. Both tunes run not much timing because I am pretty conservative over all. I pretty much ran pump gas timing for 540whp.

Old Jan 30, 2019, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Damn, those are some sexy curves. I admit that I haven't fully looked into what it would take to live with this car on E85. I know that stuff can suck up moisture super easy, but I guess you can buy it in 5-gallon jugs and take one or two if going for a road trip. But once you get tuned on E85, you can't put in pump gas, right? I guess I like the convenience of pump gas, but those power numbers are making me question that comfort. If I'm going to spend $10K, I almost feel like a dumbass for sticking with 93 octane.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 09:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Metal
Damn, those are some sexy curves. I admit that I haven't fully looked into what it would take to live with this car on E85. I know that stuff can suck up moisture super easy, but I guess you can buy it in 5-gallon jugs and take one or two if going for a road trip. But once you get tuned on E85, you can't put in pump gas, right? I guess I like the convenience of pump gas, but those power numbers are making me question that comfort. If I'm going to spend $10K, I almost feel like a dumbass for sticking with 93 octane.
You can set it up to be flex fuel so you can put in whatever you want, at any percentage and the ECU interpolates. I have that setup with mine, although I hardly ever use anything other than E85.
Metal (Jan 30, 2019)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
You can set it up to be flex fuel so you can put in whatever you want, at any percentage and the ECU interpolates. I have that setup with mine, although I hardly ever use anything other than E85.
You're blowing my mind, dude. I really should spend more time on this forum. I need to read up on what that means, I was aware that you can get tuned with two maps, one for E85 and one for pump gas, with a manual switch. I didn't know there is some black magic out there that can detect what you run on. My worry has been that I don't drive the car during the winter months, so it sits in my garage with Stabil mixed in with fresh 93. I run it for a few every month, but I didn't think ethanol would like that at all.

I guess I need to call English back to ask about all of this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:07 PM
EvoM Guru

You're blowing my mind, dude. I really should spend more time on this forum. I need to read up on what that means, I was aware that you can get tuned with two maps, one for E85 and one for pump gas, with a manual switch. I didn't know there is some black magic out there that can detect what you run on. My worry has been that I don't drive the car during the winter months, so it sits in my garage with Stabil mixed in with fresh 93. I run it for a few every month, but I didn't think ethanol would like that at all.

I guess I need to call English back to ask about all of this.
Yup, gone are the days of having to switch maps. All you need is a flex fuel kit, TephraMOD rom and proper tuning. http://www.tephra.it/v3/
Metal (Jan 30, 2019)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

So... you're my best friend now

Ok, let me take some time to read up on this stuff. I'll call up ETS to discuss turbos, make another post about living with E85 (for a not-so-often driven car, sadly), and call up English to get a plan going.

I might as well just give you my wallet at this point
Old Jan 31, 2019, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

500whp isn’t enough!! When your at 600whp you start saying to yourself that you have the power of God.
Id push for more power if I was you, your eventually gonna want it anyways!
Or at least get two tunes, one fun and the other to scare your passengers :-)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
My 5858 is way more responsive than I anticipated. It's a great turbo. The Gen 2 should be even better.

The non stock frame turbos make power much more easily compared. My 5858 made an easy 540whp at 24.5psi on E85 with pretty mild Kelford 214-b cams. Hell even 640whp was made pretty easily at 29psi. Both tunes run not much timing because I am pretty conservative over all. I pretty much ran pump gas timing for 540whp.

Nice power!!!

just do what he did ^^
Old May 18, 2021, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

So, it's been a while, I've been looking and thinking. I found a tuner about 3 hours from me and I'm currently chatting to them about options, but the more I think about it, the more I think the 18K turbo is right for me. I see a lot of positive reviews of the 5558 Gen 2, but I think it doesn't spool until somewhere between 4000-4500, correct? That would mean my 18K spools 500-800 RPM sooner, and I think that would be noticeable in autocross.

My car feels like a detuned civic until it starts to climb past 3000 RPM, and then the fun starts. I'm assuming that dead/powerless zone would be that much larger with a 5558?

I'm thinking the better move would be to get an S2 cam and then get a flexfuel tune, so I can run E85 when I want extra fun. I think the stock block could still handle that with an 18K. Thoughts?
Old May 18, 2021, 01:00 PM
EvoM Guru

So, it's been a while, I've been looking and thinking. I found a tuner about 3 hours from me and I'm currently chatting to them about options, but the more I think about it, the more I think the 18K turbo is right for me. I see a lot of positive reviews of the 5558 Gen 2, but I think it doesn't spool until somewhere between 4000-4500, correct? That would mean my 18K spools 500-800 RPM sooner, and I think that would be noticeable in autocross.

My car feels like a detuned civic until it starts to climb past 3000 RPM, and then the fun starts. I'm assuming that dead/powerless zone would be that much larger with a 5558?

I'm thinking the better move would be to get an S2 cam and then get a flexfuel tune, so I can run E85 when I want extra fun. I think the stock block could still handle that with an 18K. Thoughts?
If you plan to autox the car, 18K all the way. I wouldn't even bother with upgrading the cams. It's a good amount of money for not a ton of gain on smaller turbos. 18k and E85 would is a great street car package.

Quick Reply: Go from TF06-18K to ETS 5858?