Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Would ceramic coating the water pipe be beneficial?

Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would ceramic coating the water pipe be beneficial?

I am in the process of installing a new manifold and bigger turbo on my '12 GSR.
I'm prepping the engine bay for more heat and also sending out some parts to be ceramic coated.
The placement of the water pump and pipe got me thinking if it would be beneficial to coat the pipe or if it wouldn't really be necessary.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 02:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Ceramic coating keeps heat in, you don't want to make the cooling system retain more heat. The pipe should be left as-is. Replacing the stock turbo setup with an aftermarket one doesn't really change the heat the pipe sees.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Ceramic coating keeps heat in, you don't want to make the cooling system retain more heat. The pipe should be left as-is. Replacing the stock turbo setup with an aftermarket one doesn't really change the heat the pipe sees.
This! I'm guessing you're losing your factory heat shields and therefore ceramic coating the manifold and thinking about doing the water pipe while you're at it. You really shouldn't need to do anything if that's the case. The only real problem I've seen with bare manifold setups are damaged plastic valve covers from bad header design (too close) and Cam Angle Sensor damage (these have heat shields available....), Also, the cooling system should be able to handle any incidental heat the new turbo may introduce.

Otherwise, these are magic bullets for the header heat problem:
https://www.turbomotiv.com/product/t...subishi-evo-x/

Search this Thread