Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

4b12 Engine swap into Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4b12 Engine swap into Evo X

I realize I will get ungodly amount of "Whys" for this but here we go. I have an Evo X rolling shell that just needs an engine and transmission that I am trying to sell. My buddy just totaled his GTS but has a good engine and trans. Is the 4b11 and 4b12 plug and play capable?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
It is not going to be plug and play. You might be able to get the mounts to work and get the engine/trans bolted in, but the transmission isn't going to work with the Evo Axles / hubs and certainly wouldn't hook up with the transfer case/AWD. Exhaust is going to be different and the Wiring isn't going to be the same either.

Nice idea but you're probably better off not trying to build that particular Frankenmitsu.
The following users liked this post:
FluidmotionA9 (Mar 13, 2019)
Old Mar 13, 2019, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should have been more clear about "plug and play" I meant the engine and trans mount specifically, I realized it wouldn't be AWD anymore and it would basically be a "GTS with an EVO body kit" essentially
Old Mar 14, 2019, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
probably makes sense to buy a used 4b11 and install that, once it becomes a front wheel drive evo with a 4b12 I think you would definitely lose most of your possible interested buyers.