Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

BOV questions

Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BOV questions

Hey guys I'm looking into getting a new BOV for my EVO X but i have some questions before i buy one.
Is it worth changing the stock BOV?
I have been doing my research and they say the GFB BOV is the best one to buy, is this true? If not which BOV should i buy?
Should i get a BOV the only is recirculating or both recirculating and atmospheric?

Thanks guys
Old Apr 18, 2019, 05:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts
Stay recirculating if you are on the OEM MAS.

If you are runnning under 27~ PSI, your stock BOV is most likely working just fine... But, if you just want to hear a more distinguished sound, you can buy something aftermarket. I've never used GFB, but i did have a synapse on my old Ralliart that worked and sounded great.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

I would check with your tuner before making any changes; see what they prefer/like. I am having WTF tune my car, and they recommended/sold the TiAL QRJ Bypass valve, with their specific spring.

They recommended this because we're doing E85, and will potentially go over 30psi.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If you're on the stock turbo, don't change the BOV, it doesn't make enough to boost to make the stocker leak.

If you plan to upgrade the only BOV I have found to drive decent is the Tial QR (NOT the QRJ), with a -6psi spring. The rest of them flutter.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 05:09 PM

I’ve been running the tial qrj since almost day 1. It’s been great!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by slythy
I’ve been running the tial qrj since almost day 1. It’s been great!
On what turbo? The spool-up characteristics of the turbo/setup change what BOV works well. The QRJ doesn't do well with turbos that can hit and ride the surge line (IE the stock turbo and most stock frame turbo's).
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bov...

I think people getting GFB is because it’s very loud, and I mean very LOUD if you do a VTA setup.

I run Synapse diverter valve for the past 5 years. It’s not as loud but works well. The flutter problem can be fixed with springs.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
On what turbo? The spool-up characteristics of the turbo/setup change what BOV works well. The QRJ doesn't do well with turbos that can hit and ride the surge line (IE the stock turbo and most stock frame turbo's).
Stock turbo on E85

Search this Thread