Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

14 EVO X GSR Rear diff swap to MR???

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 14 EVO X GSR Rear diff swap to MR???

SO... long story short my rear diff is done! I was driving turned the corner and hit the gas heard a loud clanking noise, put on jacks to turn the wheel to reproduce the sound. The rear diff was rocking bad in my EVO X GSR and then I did some research and found out my suspicions were correct. Drained the fluid metal came out sure I broke the rack and pinion.

So back to my post will the MR rear diff swap directly into my 2014 EVO X GSR if so what year MR can I swap directly without changing the axel's or mounts? Here is the post that I was going off of, just so you understand I did my research.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ial-evo-x.html

But the post are not clear on what diff I can swap directly into my 14 EVO X GSR, I may have over read something but I need to order a rear diff and I want to make sure that I get everything that I need before I began to tear everything apart.

So the question I need answered: Will the EVO X MR Diff swap with the EVO X GSR Diff without any other changes? If there are changes needed with the EVO X MR diff what are they?

Here is what it sounds like and what my 2014 EVO X GSR diff is doing: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...M2SXrBdDFLBXqr
Old May 28, 2019, 01:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The rear diff is the same. No changes will be needed.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The rear diff is the same. No changes will be needed.
My rear 15 GSR diff went belly up so I was going to rebuild it but instead I got lucky and sourced a used one from a MR with only 12k miles. I talked to Mitsubishi dealership service shop and they informed that it would bolt up but the gear ratio would be different and would have to be changed. So I found a used GSR diff with 18k miles and had no issues since its been mounted. I hope this info helps.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 08:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The transfercase is different due to how it connects to the the transmission on the MR. But the ratio is not different. The ring and pinion for the tcase is the same for GSR/MR/Ralliart. If the tcase is the same ratio, the rear diff is the same ratio (they have to match or they"ll hurt each other just like running different size tires).

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/t...ing-and-pinion