EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/333385-official-evo-x-notchy-grinding-transmission-thread.html)

ej257gd Mar 20, 2008 10:15 AM

The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread

Hey fellow members,

I am trying to get a idea, how many of us has transmission issue with the X.

Thank you.

shanezt Mar 20, 2008 10:19 AM

by issue you are speaking of the 2-3 shift? mine has it pretty bad but it is well worth it as it shifts smooth as hell at high rpm.

ej257gd Mar 20, 2008 10:22 AM

Doesn't matter. 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. or 1st to 2nd to 3rd.

Thank you

STi2EvoX Mar 20, 2008 10:39 AM

Yep, mine does it all the way into 4th actually, granted it's not as bad as 1-2,and 2-3 but it's stll there. Just shift qickly and decisively and it will go in smooth once warmed up. I still think that it's a fluid issue personally, and that switching t something else will cure this problem, but mitsu claims that it can void your warranty so I'll wait to see if they find a fix first.

ej257gd Mar 20, 2008 10:48 AM

My foreman at the local dealership states, he won't void warranty because of the BG synchroshift. He actually recommended that plus royral purple for the rear diff.

Reason, why I started the poll is due to mitsubishi corp, told me. EVO X is prefect and less then 1% people are having any issue it at all.

I am gonna send this link to the person, after, week or so.

tsitalon1 Mar 20, 2008 10:49 AM

Nocthy, but no grinding...I would say a crunch here and there though! Cold is worse.

Tunerhead Mar 20, 2008 10:50 AM

Good to start a poll. Now mine seems to be intermittent. Last night when going to gym, on a cold start, it only did it going from 2nd to 3rd. Today when going to work (early morning) it does it from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. But once again when it warms up all gears are ok.....but 2nd to 3rd seems to come and go.

^^*talking about the notchiness, no grinding*

Tvall13 Mar 20, 2008 10:56 AM

Hey if we get enough people voting for this poll we could send it in to mitsubishi to prove that a ton of people are having this problem so people VOTE!

blanknotice Mar 20, 2008 10:59 AM

I'm not sure if anyone else experiences it, but every once in a while (cold or warm, doesn't matter) reverse won't engage. I had the same problem in my turbo'd tc, but putting it in 4th before putting it in reverse always solved the problem. I actually have to let the clutch out a little bit and let it catch slightly before it will go in. I try putting it in all the gears before trying to put it in reverse and sometimes that won't even work. Anybody else having that issue? It's probably happened 3 times and I have 650 miles on my X.

lowkey Mar 20, 2008 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by blanknotice (Post 5435708)
I'm not sure if anyone else experiences it, but every once in a while (cold or warm, doesn't matter) reverse won't engage. I had the same problem in my turbo'd tc, but putting it in 4th before putting it in reverse always solved the problem. I actually have to let the clutch out a little bit and let it catch slightly before it will go in. I try putting it in all the gears before trying to put it in reverse and sometimes that won't even work. Anybody else having that issue? It's probably happened 3 times and I have 650 miles on my X.

All the stick shift cars I have ever owned have done that. Come with the territory. Just put it in 1st year, let the clutch out slightly to barely rock the car, and then slide it into reverse.

blanknotice Mar 20, 2008 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by lowkey (Post 5436520)
All the stick shift cars I have ever owned have done that. Come with the territory. Just put it in 1st year, let the clutch out slightly to barely rock the car, and then slide it into reverse.

Gotcha. Now that I think about it, I have had that problem in all my manual cars too. Just didn't expect it with a brand new transmission I guess.

su37su Mar 20, 2008 03:58 PM

Nothcy-Griding-Hard to engage gears (COLD OR NOT)

only bad from 1st-2nd not so bad from 2nd-4th

buffaluphagus Mar 20, 2008 04:05 PM

mine was notchy for first 800 miles or so. Now its smooth as butter

su37su Mar 20, 2008 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by buffaluphagus (Post 5437210)
mine was notchy for first 800 miles or so. Now its smooth as butter

I just hope mines get better after the break in period.

evo_Eks Mar 20, 2008 06:34 PM

mine is notchy but no problem engaging gears.