EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   Getting a THUD noise *help* (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/403443-getting-thud-noise-help.html)

EvoXCrazy Feb 28, 2009 07:36 PM

Getting a THUD noise *help*

Like the title says, I'm getting a thud noise from time to time whenever I'm in first gear and trying to to move from a complete stop...

Any ideas what could be causing this?

My X has only 3500 ish miles on it and is unmodded(atm)

macPSU Feb 28, 2009 07:55 PM

Is it definitely a "thud" or could it be first gear engaging? When my first gear engages, it makes a clicking sort of sound. I've never heard a thud though.

jeromski2003 Feb 28, 2009 08:05 PM

yeah that clicking sound happens to me also before, especially when your driving it for a long time, stop and go w/ the a/c on.....now 11,000 miles it just went away.

RogueValley Feb 28, 2009 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by EvoXCrazy (Post 6752580)
Like the title says, I'm getting a thud noise from time to time whenever I'm in first gear and trying to to move from a complete stop...

Any ideas what could be causing this?

My X has only 3500 ish miles on it and is unmodded(atm)

I have the same issue. It's very rare and happens in both warm and cold climates but so seldom yet not that I don't pay much attention to it anymore. I joke with my fiance saying my car's breaking again. Sometimes it'll occur after a few feet of the car having moved. Anyways, good luck with the situation.

boostin20 Feb 28, 2009 09:54 PM

Mine does that a little also when I release the clutch fast. I think there is a little play in the pinion gear of the rear diff. I'm guessing that b/c a few rwd vehicles I had did the same thing.

DVDee Feb 28, 2009 10:15 PM

Take it to the dealer. There are a lot of things that can make that sound.

DrasticK Mar 1, 2009 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by boostin20 (Post 6752845)
Mine does that a little also when I release the clutch fast. I think there is a little play in the pinion gear of the rear diff. I'm guessing that b/c a few rwd vehicles I had did the same thing.

Same thing I've experienced. It's more of a clank though

EvoXCrazy Mar 1, 2009 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by macPSU (Post 6752620)
Is it definitely a "thud" or could it be first gear engaging? When my first gear engages, it makes a clicking sort of sound. I've never heard a thud though.

Yea it more clank sound now that I listened to it more carefully.

Originally Posted by boostin20 (Post 6752845)

Exactly how the clank sound happens to me, when i release the clutch to fast after it catches in first.

Thanks guys glad to know i'm not the only 1 experiencing this, will just add this to "It an Evo, expect weird sound category "

robh Mar 1, 2009 09:27 AM

My car just left the dealer last week and that was one of the things mine was there for.

Of corse they couldnt find it. Mine is making a clunking sound from the front right side sometimes when i start out forward and sometimes when i start out in reverse

Not sure what it is the dealer couldnt find it either guess ill have to wait tell it gets worse