EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   Anyone use valvoline vr1 Non synthetic (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/545503-anyone-use-valvoline-vr1-non-synthetic.html)

3dman1 Mar 17, 2011 02:33 PM

Anyone use valvoline vr1 Non synthetic

I have been looking at fp recomendations on oils and i see they have valvoline vr1 on the list. Do you guys have any good reasons why this would be a poor choice for a 4b11. I am considering giving it a try i change my oil 3000 miles or less and im wondering if anyone has a link to a oil analisis on this oil.

cnj4ever Mar 17, 2011 05:10 PM

I would ask who built your engine what oil they would reccomend, before you throw something in especially a non synthetic. Just my .02

EvoX2NR Mar 17, 2011 07:13 PM

no oil analysis.... was recommended it, so I run it. I haven't had any complaints when I hit my 3K marks...

apagan01 Mar 18, 2011 08:53 AM

I would prefer to use Mobil 1 0W40 or 15W50, these oils are at least a group 3 synthetic and have a good additive package of zinc and phos.

i dont want non synthetics near any of my internal combustion engines.

3dman1 Mar 18, 2011 12:16 PM

So what exactly is the bonus to a synthetic? What is the difference The vr1 is rated for a turbo engine from what i have read and it has a good additive package but i cant find enough info on exactly what the advantages are to pure synthetics. Many recomend oils like brad penn and its a blend. I have been trying to make a desision based on facts and have spent alot of time reading oil forums and still dont have a grasp on what exactly the synthetics do better.

JDMEvo9RS Mar 18, 2011 12:37 PM

Just go synthetic bro, there are less expensite full synthetics than mobil1 and amsoil available. 5qts is like $29

MaLo EvoVIII Mar 18, 2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 3dman1 (Post 9166556)
I have been looking at fp recomendations on oils and i see they have valvoline vr1 on the list. Do you guys have any good reasons why this would be a poor choice for a 4b11. I am considering giving it a try i change my oil 3000 miles or less and im wondering if anyone has a link to a oil analisis on this oil.

If you go with the Valvoline Racing oil you should change it in even shorter intervals. Im using it on my Evo 8 and I was surprised to see how quickly the oil became dirty. However, I should've known better because these racing oils do not contain detergents that allows the oil to stay clean.

3dman1 Mar 18, 2011 02:39 PM

I am not looking at the vr1 because of cost. I like the zddp levels is this oil and think it would be a good choice unless I'm missing something unknown to me about the differences in synthetic vs conventional oils. I don't know of any 29 dollar synthetic oils that come anywhere near the levels of zddp that are in the VALVOLINE race oils. I'm looking for a oil that is available locally and don't want to order oil everytime I want to change my oil.

mrfred Mar 22, 2011 07:11 AM

a good synthetic can operate at much higher temperature without breaking down. if you want the zddp, go with amsoil racing. it has a lower tbn than most other oils, so it needs to be changed more often, say every 3k miles. most people do that anyhow.

fantrman Apr 6, 2011 11:39 AM

AWD recommended VR1 to me so I use it.

MaLo EvoVIII Apr 7, 2011 11:18 AM

I went to Advance Auto today and found out that they are going to start selling Valvoline VR1 FULL SYNTHETIC Racing Oil.

HR2L Apr 7, 2011 02:09 PM

I use Valvoline VR1 Non Synthetic 20w50 (heavy weight as it is a higher mileage motor) in my e30 BMW m20. Only reason I use it, is because it uses higher concentrations of ZDDP (Zinc/Phosphorus, in comparison to other oils available) which is supposedly better for flat tappet style valve train. Only real downside to the VR1 is that the increased amount of ZDDP is supposedly harmful to catalytic (especially modern) converters and their longevity. Would have never thought of running a non syn based oil in my X or any modern car @ this point. I'd probably stick to M1 10w30 or 10-40 synth or AMSoil 15-50w full synth.

Jookies Apr 7, 2011 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrfred (Post 9177610)
a good synthetic can operate at much higher temperature without breaking down. if you want the zddp, go with amsoil racing. it has a lower tbn than most other oils, so it needs to be changed more often, say every 3k miles. most people do that anyhow.

How often is necessary for Mobil 1?

kozmic27 Apr 7, 2011 07:26 PM

The main and only reason to not use these oils is that they are bad for the cat according to the epa. If you don't have a cat, go ahead and use it. Brad Penn grade 1 is the same way. Change the oil at closer intervals if you are worried about it getting dirty.

mrfred Apr 12, 2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jookies (Post 9223349)
How often is necessary for Mobil 1?

mobil 1 is not a competition-specific oil. tbn is similar to other average synthetic motor oils.