EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   HKS Hi-Powered Exhaust Droning? Alternatives? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/698286-hks-hi-powered-exhaust-droning-alternatives.html)

Jmk0601 Aug 26, 2014 06:54 PM

HKS Hi-Powered Exhaust Droning? Alternatives?

Hi, I'm looking to get HKS Hi-Powered Exhaust.... some person who reviewed it in a post said there was no drone, but i've read comments on other exhaust threads where they said there was a drone. I do like the deep, loud sound. To anyone who has one, how is the cabin noise when your going 70mph and up?? Are there any other exhaust systems that would provide loud, deep sound with no droning/ridiculous cabin noise in highway cruising(70mph+)?? Thank you in advance for your replies.

michael8238 Sep 7, 2014 11:10 PM

It probably will drone if you are on stock cat. HFC or TP will cure the drone, but your car will also get quite a bit louder.
I personally would rather have a loud car than a car that drones badly in the cabin (the stock cat is right next to where you sit...).
I love my Tomei even though it's soooo loud with no tone at all.
If you want deep sound, I'd vote for MXP as No.1 It's the best sounding dual exit to my ears;
or Invidia Q300, which is a little cheaper

sleptOn Sep 8, 2014 07:25 AM

I've got the Hi-Power w/ stock cat. Not the quietest exhaust but definitely does not drone. Just a nice deep tone when cruising and growls when you get on it.

tbaird58 Sep 8, 2014 10:18 PM

i have this exhaust with full 3in from the turbo back and i get a tiny bit of drone at around 60-70 mph but a little music cures it right up

JLEVOX Apr 15, 2015 02:49 AM

Drone is relative, some love it some hate it....I want it to drown out the damn engine noise lol

Ev0ikon Apr 15, 2015 10:24 AM

I don't know how it works on the X, but I think it's the best sounding setup for my Evo 8 when paired with a resonated test-pipe.

boostedtres Apr 20, 2015 06:59 AM

i have it on my 8 (actually about to take it off and sell it) but thats a completely different motor so cant comment.

My dad has a UR turboback on his X, loud as hell and sounds mean/deep, but at 70, certain RPM, the cabin noise is terrible.

I LOVE loud exhausts. Louder the better, but damn that thing was gave me a headache while driving on 95.

gl man

andc17 Apr 21, 2015 05:12 PM

If you don't want drone I don't recommend Tomei I generally wear earplugs if I'm going on the highway for anymore than an hour.

Kreeker Apr 21, 2015 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by andc17 (Post 11433170)
If you don't want drone I don't recommend Tomei I generally wear earplugs if I'm going on the highway for anymore than an hour.

That statement makes me scared for my ears. I drive with the windows open constantly regardless of speed and have a Greddy Ti (only a catback for now). It doesn't seem loud to me, but I'm wondering if I'm doing damage to my ears..

andc17 Apr 21, 2015 05:32 PM

I live in MN and when I bought the car I flew down to SC and drove her back. Everytime I got out to fill up with gas my ears were ringing and after that I sort of realized that it probably wasn't the best thing to do for my ears haha

Evodetailer123 Apr 26, 2015 10:06 PM

ive had the hks on my car for about 3 months, i drive on the highway everyday, i dont have a problem at all, almost no drone if there is any, its definetly the best exhaust