EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   4th gear poping out, Evo 10 manual 5 speed (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/741810-4th-gear-poping-out-evo-10-manual-5-speed.html)

GregEvoX Jul 13, 2017 12:15 PM

4th gear poping out, Evo 10 manual 5 speed

Hi everyone,

Like mentionned in the title, I am having problems with my gearbox. I have a 2014 evo 10 gsr with 5 speed gearbox, stock power. I drive the car weekly and do a bit of track.

On the way back home from the track my gearbox jumped out of 4th gear 3 times. This happend under low load and high load but I can't find a patern, it just jumps out when it feels like to. This is the second gearbox I am having problems with and I don't know why.. (well I do, must be tracking the car !) But why does it wear out soo fast ? Does anybody have this problem?

I am having trouble to find any info on this. I only seem to find people wearing out there gearboxes on 500 hp track cars. I'm a fairly smooth driver and I don't thrash the gears like a madman. Can anyone shed some light here please ? :crap:

LetsGetThisDone Jul 13, 2017 01:37 PM

It definitely shouldn't be happening. Only course of action is to tear it down and see what's going on.

4b11slayer Jul 13, 2017 02:23 PM

Yep as stated above the trans needs to be removed and opened for further inspection. Usually its a damaged synchro slider. But many possibilities.

GregEvoX Jul 16, 2017 11:50 PM

Thanks for your reply guys ! But does anyone know why this is happening? And has anyone had this problem allready?

LetsGetThisDone Jul 17, 2017 09:20 AM

It's either an issue with the shift fork, selector sleeve, or the selector sleeve springs.

GregEvoX Jul 21, 2017 04:15 AM

Is it possible that the oil used in the box could cause a problem ? It's motul gear 300 75w90 ?

LetsGetThisDone Jul 21, 2017 09:20 AM

That oi l shouldn't cause an issue. That's actually what TRE recommends for gear boxes.

ProKiD Jul 24, 2017 11:55 PM

Yep, same happened to me, bought my 08 gsr from a dealership "fast n furious won't last long" �� anyways turned out they replaced the clutch but apparently forgot to fill up the trans with fluids. 4th gear started poping out 20 miles in. Synchro slider got damaged bad so did 2nd gear.

GregEvoX Jul 31, 2017 07:57 AM

Could it be anything to do with the clutch delay valve and the fact of double clutching ?

LetsGetThisDone Jul 31, 2017 09:35 AM

It is easier for the trans to come out of gear if it's no fully loaded due to clutch slipping.

Is it popping out right after a shift?

However, one would expect an issue with the clutch to effect all gears.

GregEvoX Aug 3, 2017 04:17 AM

If it pops out (doesn't happen all the time) it pops out straight after the shift..

mikelbring Mar 10, 2018 06:55 AM

Did you figure out what this was? I am assuming shift fork. My car does the same thing and I dealt with it for a long time but not that I am getting a new motor, we were going to open the transmission to look just haven't done it yet.