EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   Intermitent long start up (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/742844-intermitent-long-start-up.html)

mjrspeed Aug 23, 2017 02:47 PM

Intermitent long start up

Hello everyone,
I have noticed a few things with my Evo x and am at the point I need some more advice. I updated my relays based on what I was reading online about start up issues but i still see to have it mostly when gas tank is below half. car takes forever to start weather hot or cold.
Some one told me it could be fuel pump sticking
Another stating Purge valve as possible culprit

Suggestions thoughts?

mjrspeed Aug 23, 2017 03:10 PM

Some service done
Gapped plugs
changed all fluids
cleaned airfilter
secured vacum lines to GS boost controller solenoid

static_set Aug 24, 2017 09:42 AM

Might be time to change the pickup filter on your pump?

-ash

mjrspeed Aug 24, 2017 11:46 AM

I was going to head to a junkyard today to see if they had any parts and decided to look at what fuel pump was in car as when I rewired the speakers it looked as if prior owner went in tank. Sure enough Walbro gss342 pump is in and the pick up looked clogged and allot of debre in container holding pump. I also noticed the blue cable that connects to pump has holes in it and seems to be rotting away. I will change these as soon as I get the parts and hopes this solves start up issue and lean at idle.

4b11slayer Aug 24, 2017 02:57 PM

Could be a fuel pressure issue.

mjrspeed Aug 24, 2017 09:43 PM

Changed pick up filter. Same thing. It has its moments starts right up and other cranking for awhile. Playing with throttle seems to not impact it at all. Plan to buy fuel pressure regulator kit to see if it is an issue and also make car ready for the walbro 450 I plan on putting in. Is there a place selling kits with rails and injectors at a decent price?

static_set Aug 25, 2017 06:45 AM

I've never seen a kit that included a rail and injectors. If you can allow some time for the car to be down it would be worthwhile having the injectors cleaned and matched.

-ash

4b11slayer Aug 25, 2017 06:48 AM

Do a fuel pressure test

mjrspeed Aug 30, 2017 06:05 PM

I will attempt fuel pressure test over the weekend.

mjrspeed Oct 15, 2017 01:52 AM

Finally did fuel pressure test and saw it inconsistent at startup. Seems to start up easier when gas cap is open and or tank is full. A mechanic I know thinks its either vapor lock or voltage to pump issue. Changed Pump as I had planned on running new pump.
But thinks keep happening I added FPR and despite me checking pressure before fuel rail I stopped getting readings on test kit but had psi readings on gauge attached to FPR.