EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   Evo X vs 9 Intake Mani (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/744581-evo-x-vs-9-intake-mani.html)

Kevin_White19 Nov 9, 2017 09:55 AM

Evo X vs 9 Intake Mani

Does anyone have measurements as to the different between the 4G63 intake manifold and the 4B11T intake manifold. Basically looking at what dimensions are preventing an intake manifold designed for the 9 from being installed onto a 4B11. (I'm aware I can just buy an aftermarket for the X this is a hypothetical just out of curiousity as to the differences)

Thanks,
Kevin

LetsGetThisDone Nov 10, 2017 08:54 PM

Well, for starters, the inlet will be on the wrong side if it were to bolt up.. And everything else is also different lol

Biggiesacks Nov 10, 2017 09:50 PM

yah pretty much everything about the intakes is different. It's just not going to happen.

Kevin_White19 Nov 10, 2017 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11784649)
Well, for starters, the inlet will be on the wrong side if it were to bolt up.. And everything else is also different lol

My question is referring more to the mounting flange design. I'm curious as to what is deferent between the two flanges besides the amount of bolt holes decreasing when going to the X manifold. Is the runner spacing the same? The reason I ask is to see what the flange mount redesign will entail so I can add an ITB system to the car with a second rail and injector set. It'd be a fun project I know it won't get me the most power and performance gains but it'd be a cool addition.

Thanks,
Kevin

Biggiesacks Nov 10, 2017 10:31 PM

http://streettunedmotorsports.com/pa...d_mn155744.jpg

http://streettunedmotorsports.com/pa...t_1000b338.jpg

judging by the gasket of the 4b11t the ports aren't even the same shape. The top link is of a 4g63 head and the bottom is a 4b11t gasket set.

Hiboost Nov 12, 2017 07:23 PM

Hypothetically you might be able to do some chopping, re-welding, and tapping to make one work but it would not be for the faint of heart. Magnus sells one for a decent price but a full sheet metal intake manifold that requires a relocated power steering pump and custom throttlebody is probably best for a 600whp+ Evo X where that effort will make the difference when matched with a larger turbo setup.

4b11slayer Nov 12, 2017 07:35 PM

Or you can keep stock manifold. Cut the top of plenum and send to cbre for a full p&p then get it welded shut

Kevin_White19 Nov 12, 2017 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hiboost (Post 11784891)
Hypothetically you might be able to do some chopping, re-welding, and tapping to make one work but it would not be for the faint of heart. Magnus sells one for a decent price but a full sheet metal intake manifold that requires a relocated power steering pump and custom throttlebody is probably best for a 600whp+ Evo X where that effort will make the difference when matched with a larger turbo setup.

Magnus is one of the companies I contacted and they quoted me $10,000 to have the ITBs integrated into the system :eek: So this weekend I took some time and designed the system in solidworks. Now I just have to decide how willing I am to embark on this project anytime soon and whether I want to weld the ITBs to be integrated into the runners or have a flange so they're serviceable. Also a matter of finding the right throttle bodies to use. Jenvey looks like they have good ones and they have experience with 7-9 manifolds.

-Kevin

e_kobz Nov 13, 2017 05:41 AM

No offense, but investment would not be worth the reward with this project. I mean if you have money to burn and have to have ITB’s then go for it. I’m just saying the potential power gains aren’t not worth the money

Kevin_White19 Nov 13, 2017 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by e_kobz (Post 11784934)
No offense, but investment would not be worth the reward with this project. I mean if you have money to burn and have to have ITB’s then go for it. I’m just saying the potential power gains aren’t not worth the money

My overall goal isn't to make the most powerful car possible but rather to have a super responsive car at a certain power level. I feel that ITBs can add to that responsiveness and also be pretty cool to have.

Hiboost Nov 14, 2017 12:27 AM

10k, now that is some good trolling by Marco! :)

The $1100 sheet metal intake looked like a decent option, I didn't know you were aiming to setup a custom intake manifold with individual throttle body's!

Biggiesacks Nov 14, 2017 04:39 AM

how are you planning on tackling the drive by wire system?

LetsGetThisDone Nov 14, 2017 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hiboost (Post 11785238)
10k, now that is some good trolling by Marco! :)

The $1100 sheet metal intake looked like a decent option, I didn't know you were aiming to setup a custom intake manifold with individual throttle body's!

Was gonna say, that sounds like an "I don't want to do that" price...LOL

OP, what do you expect to gain from ITB's? I don't think they'll have the effect you're hoping for since the car is turbocharged. ITB's are basically to improve throttle response. With a turbocharger, your throttle response is dependent on the transient response capability of the turbocharger itself. ITB's won't have effect on that.

Kevin_White19 Nov 14, 2017 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11785274)
Was gonna say, that sounds like an "I don't want to do that" price...LOL

OP, what do you expect to gain from ITB's? I don't think they'll have the effect you're hoping for since the car is turbocharged. ITB's are basically to improve throttle response. With a turbocharger, your throttle response is dependent on the transient response capability of the turbocharger itself. ITB's won't have effect on that.

lol that's exactly what that price was. As far as what I'd like to see out of the system, I'm pretty much at the limit of power I ever want to get to so now I'd like to modify my car in unique ways that will increase performance. I think that ITBs will have an effect on low to mid range breathing of the car which I would think will help throttle response and subsequently spool to a small degree. It'll also help me to learn more about the system which is the whole reason I'm going through the process of heavily modifying an Evo instead of buying a GT-R or something.

-Kevin

Biggiesacks Nov 14, 2017 10:18 AM

air-to-water intercooler system would probably help spoolup. Its on my long term list. Only real downside i can think of is weight and a little more complexity, but you have alot of control on where most of that weight will be placed.