EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   Some specific questions (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/747330-some-specific-questions.html)

KonosP Mar 15, 2018 01:07 PM

Some specific questions

I just got my Evo last week and it's so different from my previous cars (low power Toyota's) I looked around the forum (especially for the second question) and I couldn't find quite the answer I was looking for so I'm just going to ask here.

1. Is an Evo X's flywheel considered light? Or is it heavy? I noticed that the revs drop slower when compared to an FR-S or AE86, is this why? (Driving at normal speeds). This one is just a curiosity as it helps me a lot with shifting up.
2. The only 2 mods I'm planning on the near future is a BoV and a HKS Hi-Power Exhaust. Now I read from here that changing the exhaust shouldn't require a tune, but what about a BoV?
Also, when I let my foot off the gas, I notice the car shutters a bit, is that due to the built up pressure? Would a BoV help this? (Even if not, I still want one. Need that PSSSSH in my life.)

Thank you, I'm obviously new to this so any help is greatly appreciated!

laxhero2 Mar 16, 2018 07:10 PM

1. The stock flywheel is like 13lbs. I feel like you need the RPMS when shifting gears if your WOT to stay in boost.

2. Stock BOV is fine. IMO you would be wasting money. I would just rather get a Intake if you want to hear the 'Flutter'. Technically when your changing parts, you should tune. Maybe start with a Cobb tuner if your not comfortable tuning your self or take it some where to tune you.

AF13_Evo Mar 16, 2018 07:35 PM

If you're not running an aftermarket BOV in recirc mode then you need a tune.

KonosP Mar 16, 2018 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by laxhero2 (Post 11810149)
1. The stock flywheel is like 13lbs. I feel like you need the RPMS when shifting gears if your WOT to stay in boost.

2. Stock BOV is fine. IMO you would be wasting money. I would just rather get a Intake if you want to hear the 'Flutter'. Technically when your changing parts, you should tune. Maybe start with a Cobb tuner if your not comfortable tuning your self or take it some where to tune you.

Oo, didn't think about it that way, makes a lot of sense (about the fly-wheel)
Changing the intake would allow me to hear the blow-off flutter? I was looking into a Injen or AEM later on, but I know that requires tuning afterwards so I might as well do both at the same time. Thank you for the advice

Rohtech Mar 18, 2018 08:35 PM

Heavier flywheels help street driven car with shifting. Helps the synchros and prevents “blocking you out of a gear” lighter flywheels are used in drag or racing applications because they are easier to rev for 1 and 2 they are shifting in high rpm all the time and don’t need the weight down low. To answer your BOV question if you get a BOV that is still 100% recirculating you will be fine with no tune but to get your loud “pshhh” sound you need something that vents at least 50%... i would do a intake, boost controller, and bov when your ready for a tune...

KonosP Mar 20, 2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rohtech (Post 11810444)
Heavier flywheels help street driven car with shifting. Helps the synchros and prevents “blocking you out of a gear” lighter flywheels are used in drag or racing applications because they are easier to rev for 1 and 2 they are shifting in high rpm all the time and don’t need the weight down low. To answer your BOV question if you get a BOV that is still 100% recirculating you will be fine with no tune but to get your loud “pshhh” sound you need something that vents at least 50%... i would do a intake, boost controller, and bov when your ready for a tune...

Thank you, sounds like a plan to me. I knew I was getting a VTA from the get go, so your answer is exactly what I needed to know.

Rohtech Mar 20, 2018 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by konosp (Post 11810819)
thank you, sounds like a plan to me. I knew i was getting a vta from the get go, so your answer is exactly what i needed to know.

👍🏻

Jaraxle Mar 23, 2018 09:14 AM

The loudest intake to hear the PSSSHH would be the Apexi one for the Evo X. It has a long aluminum MAF section that tends to echo out the PSSHH sound. Your car shouldn't be studdering or bucking. If you have issues, solve that first before you go changing & upgrading stuff.

KonosP Apr 3, 2018 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jaraxle (Post 11811517)
The loudest intake to hear the PSSSHH would be the Apexi one for the Evo X. It has a long aluminum MAF section that tends to echo out the PSSHH sound. Your car shouldn't be studdering or bucking. If you have issues, solve that first before you go changing & upgrading stuff.

I think the "shuddering" was my misinterpretation of the flywheel holding the rpms in place, and Im for sure getting the Apexi with the UICP.

Now I just have to find someone to tune it after installing it, but if it really is that loud, I don't have to worry about getting in trouble for having a VTA haha