EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   First timer upgrading turbo.. looking for recommendations! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/755009-first-timer-upgrading-turbo-looking-recommendations.html)

m0nkie Jun 28, 2019 04:21 PM

First timer upgrading turbo.. looking for recommendations!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys. First time turbo car owner and trying to get my first turbo upgrade. Looking for options/suggestions.

2008 Evo X GSR. first hand owner. 130k miles on engine. I DD the car for the past 10 years. Now it's more of a garage car, weekend cruiser, and random (couple a year) fun track days

I want to have more hp. Around the 400+WHP range.. nothing too crazy because I still want to drive around town. but I want to be able to squeeze some more power out in the future incase I want to just garage the Evo forever and make it a show car. get 5/600+ WHP (with built internals)

I'm not a mechanic, but I do have some good friends that have built turbo cars. 99% of my parts were installed by them in my garage. Tuned at KTM in Los Angeles. I'm posting here so I can learn a little more and do some research on parts. I don't want to just blindly trust the tuning shop.

I have heard a lot of good things about Borgwarner turbos. friends and shops have been talking about this brand. On the forum I mostly see FP (insert color) turbos. What do you suggest?

I've spent alot of money on this car already, so willing to spend some more on the turbo. no cheap stuff necessary

Performance and related parts on the car
Greddy Turbo Back Exhaust
Exceedy Stage 1 HD clutch
ACT Flywheel
SSP clutch master cylinder
ETS intake
ETS UICP
ETS LICP
AMS Intercooler
Grimspeed digital boost controller
Fuel Pump/1100 injectors/ E85 Flex fuel tune
Synapse diverter valve
MAP tubular turbo manifold

With the E85, I did feel some power increase.. but I'm ready for some real FUN driving. current power level feels stockish still.
Attachment 324237

thanks!

m0nkie Jun 28, 2019 04:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
some photos of the car

Attachment 324234

Attachment 324235

Attachment 324236

Metal_AF Jun 30, 2019 10:06 AM

The FP(color) turbos are rebuilt stock frame turbos, and have been around since the beginning. They fit with all of the stock fitting parts. The stock frame is kind of on the smaller side, so it's a little snappier but caps out a little lower.
The BW EFR's are newer and haven't been an option for as long as the FP(x) stuff. You wont see them in as many builds, but you will in a lot of the recently documented ones.

I went with a BW 9174 EFR because I wanted to feel a major difference. @22psi it made 490whp (mustang dyno), with a cam and stock bottom end. I've been etuning with another well known tuner and we safely settled into 26psi. Haven't had a chance to take it back to the dyno just yet, but its a total animal. I can get a little compressor surge in 4th gear between 3500-4000 rpm which matches up with the compressor map based on the lbs/min a 2.0L is moving at that rpm. That range gets skipped over while going WOT, but it pops up if you do a full 4th gear pull. The engine is going to be a stroked 2.26L when built(this coming winter), and the surge will be gone. I don't believe the guys that went with the slightly smaller BW 8374 EFR's run into that though.

m0nkie Jul 1, 2019 12:28 AM

thanks! so if i were to choose a BW 9174 EFR, would it be safe to keep it at lower PSI without any engine built? or would this turbo require some basic engine work to run?

490WHP sounds awesome to drive around. Does our OEM brakes hold up? and what clutch do you have? thanks!

Metal_AF Jul 1, 2019 07:27 AM

Its safe @ lower psi, but it will behave better with more displacement. I'm not sure how it would act on the stock cams/springs either. You will get a little less lag with an 8374 and no issues on the stock 2.0L. Just chew on it for a while and figure out your build path and end goals for the car.
Calipers and rotors are stock. Ceramic Hawk pads w/o issues, but now that I don't daily drive the car I might do a brake kit when its time to replace everything.
Clutch Masters FX400 and aluminum flywheel. Also upgraded to the evo9 master cylinder, and added a clutch fork stop.

ETS Michael Jul 1, 2019 08:16 AM

I would probably go with an 8374. It has excellent response. Plenty of people have ran it on stock block around 500WHP without any issues and it is capable of doing around 700WHP if you want to turn it up later.

https://www.extremeturbosystems.com/...roll-turbo-kit

- Robert

LetsGetThisDone Jul 1, 2019 10:03 AM

I would do either ran EFR 8374 (t4 twinscroll) as Robert suggested, or Precision Gen2 5558 (Vabnd with .82 A/R housing). With either turbo, I'd definitely go with ETS if you want the highest quality and most complete turbo kit, You'll want to select the 3.5" MAF housing.

RazorLab Jul 1, 2019 10:26 AM

Since you live in California, and if you care about more stealth turbo options I would look at the Garrett GTX3076R Gen 2 or Blouch Dom 2. The GTX3076R will give you room to grow to 500hp. Both will look MUCH more stock than EFR or Precision Turbos.

If you don't care, then the EFR or Precision 5858 like others have suggested.

I love my 5858 and it makes 620whp at 29psi on E80.

m0nkie Jul 4, 2019 09:10 AM

Thanks guys. Im looking into getting a BW 8374

I have a question on piping size. I think i got 3 inch ETS intake and all the upper lower pipes.

Should they be all upgraded to 3.5 inch or larger? Or can i use them until i want more hp later?

Because tuning is fairly costly.. worth upgrading them all and tune once?

LetsGetThisDone Jul 4, 2019 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by m0nkie
Thanks guys. Im looking into getting a BW 8374

I have a question on piping size. I think i got 3 inch ETS intake and all the upper lower pipes.

Should they be all upgraded to 3.5 inch or larger? Or can i use them until i want more hp later?

Because tuning is fairly costly.. worth upgrading them all and tune once?

The only pipes that need to change is the intake to the turbo and the upper intercooler pipe, and they comes with the turbo kit. And yes you need the 3.5" MAF housing upgrade.

m0nkie Jul 9, 2019 12:04 AM

Thanks guys. Any suggestions on best place to get the full kit? Borgwarner 8374 with 3.5" pipes

Metal_AF Jul 9, 2019 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by m0nkie (Post 11879141)
Thanks guys. Any suggestions on best place to get the full kit? Borgwarner 8374 with 3.5" pipes

ETS or FullRace. Other places will have you waiting several months. Like 4-6 with poor communication.

ETS Michael Jul 9, 2019 09:17 AM

We have them available on the website. Currently we can get a kit built in about 2-3 weeks too. The turbo is on the shelf.

https://www.extremeturbosystems.com/...15248989454406

- Robert

zeRep85RA Jul 9, 2019 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by m0nkie (Post 11877971)
Tuned at KTM in Los Angeles.

Phil [da' agony] tuning a X with a 8374

500awhp

z
E
R
E

p

slythy Jul 10, 2019 12:06 PM

I just bought a FR 8474 Kit. I was debating between that and the 8374. I figured 200rpm slower for up to 150 more hp seemed like a fair trade. I am doing a full build thought. I am hoping for a safe ez 700hp.

You and I have a similar build, except the rod shot out the back of my block this winter haha.