Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Holy crap-a-moly! Almost had a heart attack!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:36 AM
AFB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy crap-a-moly! Almost had a heart attack!

Ok I picked up my Wicked White, SSS Evo X earlier today. It´s awesome! First Evo X here and it's quite clear I can't pick my nose when I´m in it. People are staring everywhere.

Anyways... I was driving home on the freeway when I noticed the hood vibrates a little. Well I thought "Has to be normal, right?" then a big truck goes by, I´m at around 70mph and WOOSH! I thought the darn hood would blow off! The amount of movement and vibration was beyond my belief... shees! Going to clean my pants now

Normal?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

I noticed a little movement...but obviously not to the extent that you did. Maybe have a look at it with the hood open?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:00 PM
AFB

Originally Posted by Boostd4
I noticed a little movement...but obviously not to the extent that you did. Maybe have a look at it with the hood open?
I´m going to check it out. It was just such a violent movement that I really thought that the hood was going to be blown off.

Anyways, awesome car. Finally joined the Evo-family
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:03 PM

Maybe the hood wasnt properly closed .. ?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:25 PM
AFB

I checked it, it was closed all right.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is rock solid. I think that your hood was not closed all the way. If it looked like it was closed, then close it harder next time or go have your hood latch looked at and see if maybe it needs to be adjusted. Perhaps it is not closing the hood all the way or something. First I've heard of this...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 01:28 PM

Not sure how it's setup on the Evo but you might want to check that the rubber hood stops are adjusted correctly so the hood is tight when closed.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 01:53 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
That sounds odd. Mine does not do this at any speed.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Gotta say...haven't experienced it either...umm...on windy days it's not totally uncommon to feel like you're going to blown off the road by a huge semi that is probably going faster than it should
Old Apr 17, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Mine is rock solid. I think that your hood was not closed all the way. If it looked like it was closed, then close it harder next time or go have your hood latch looked at and see if maybe it needs to be adjusted. Perhaps it is not closing the hood all the way or something. First I've heard of this...
All you should have to do to close it is drop it from a little height. Do not slam it or push down on the top. Remember it is alluminum and if you push down on it you can dent it.

Anyway, my hood is solid and doesn't vibrate at all. Take your car back to the dealer. Thats a probelm.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

turn the black hood stop grommets CCW a little at a time until it's tight and even.
Get some hood pins for peace of mind. lol
Old Apr 17, 2008, 07:16 PM

drive it out again, if it still feels the same after you made sure that it was closed, then take it back and tell them to fix it. I mean I drove 100 mph and it felt really smooth and nothing like that was happening to my hood.

Also people do stare at Evos if there aren't many around your neighborhood. Like my neighborhood, there isn't a single Evo around and everyone, even old people stare at me, some guy even stick his head out of the window and kept looking back and forth between my car and the road (making sure he doesn't crash). I was like wtf, so I sped up and drove away from him because it was annoying lol.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

another reason ill wait for the 09s =]
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ddawg1130
All you should have to do to close it is drop it from a little height. Do not slam it or push down on the top. Remember it is alluminum and if you push down on it you can dent it.

Anyway, my hood is solid and doesn't vibrate at all. Take your car back to the dealer. Thats a probelm.
When I say close it harder I am saying to drop the hood from a higher height. Don't imply that I am so stupid as to push on my aluminum hood to close it like some f'ing noob. I have had aluminum hoods on the past three cars that I have owned and am quite familiar with how to close them properly. I was just trying to help the guy out by saying that maybe he didn't raise the hood high enough before droping it to close it and that it might not have been closed all the way. And I don't know why you are addressing me and telling me to take my car back to the dealer, my car isn't the one having that problem. You should read the posts more carefully. Not trying to be a dick, but I haven't had a cigarette in like 3 hours and that comment just rubbed me the wrong way.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 18, 2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:16 AM
Admin Alumni

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
snipe my post for making a joke? Man, it wasn't OT. May as well delete the whole thread then as its not really contributing to anything. No offense to the OP at all, just curious as to why I get a post deleted for making an on topic joke, particularly when its not on a thread where there's much info being passed around, its a story.

**glad it didn't fly open on you man.**
And your post helped this thread along its way with a lot of useless replies and not much help. That is why it along with others was deleted. If you want to visit a place where posts like yours are accepted, visit OT. Thanks for flying EvoM.net, have a great day.

SASD209