Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MR Trans is worth every penny!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how do you launch the MR at the track? keep it neutral and put it in drive while revving the engine???? Or is there a launch mode?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Well congrats on the car, but I don't think you really know much about the GSR making comments like that. ....

Look, I'm happy for you that you are enjoying your MR, but realize that it's a luxury cruiser version of the GSR, and although it's faster around some tracks....
To be able to say that about an automatic/manumatic/whatever version of the is in itself a tribute the car IMO. Especially given the tradeoffs you mention to make to make it "luxury cruiser".
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
if you find a flat spot in the gsr , that is probably the crappy tune or you miss shifted.
The X runs way higher rpms in gears then my IX not to mention my VIII.
And due MIVEC and the new turbo set up the torque comes sooner and the power band is smoother too.
On the other hand I 100% with you. If you need a DD or the mild tune car the MR is a winner formula, period.
Good to hear you like it! Congrats for the car!

PS
But for track purposes and so on, the GSR is a better choice,since you dont waste money on, what you will change out anyway.
Which is proven already in the evo history.
You will change rims, breaks, rotors, seats , stereo etc if you for track. So who planning to not just occasionally tracking the car, the GSR is a no brainer.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jul 17, 2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:01 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
somehow evo and relaxation doesn't mix. nice review though!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
somehow evo and relaxation doesn't mix. nice review though!
yeah its born with the first evolution...
Since then it is alive. And every new model or trim just oil on the fire.
That is why i think one of the best tuner car. It makes the people crazy about they car.
How is that goes?

We didn't just build the car ... We made a religion..

So you dont question some one religion ,right?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Like some are mentioning...
I think just the maintenance part of the SST trans will be $$$$...

But for the guys who really track their cars hard...manual will be better suited?
Less unfamiliar parts, ability to modify the trans to accommodate the mods...
I'd also assume less mechanical parts in the manual resulting less weight and less things that could go wrong at the track...

I'm still waiting for my opportunity to drive the MR here in chicago.

***good review by the way***
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

I'd like to see a comparison of "average skilled" drivers like myself take the MR and GSR around a track for at least 10 laps a piece (for consistency) and see how well each car performs. I appreciate magazine write ups as much as the next guy but bottom line is that I do not have the same driving skills as most (if not all) magazine testers and I'm guessing that most Average Joe drivers will go faster and have more fun in the MR.

I used to think that I needed the fastest bike out there and when I started getting schooled by guys on 600s and SV650s on my R1, I realized that I didn't have the skill to properly pilot a liter bike. I dropped down to a 600 and was immediately much faster. For me, it was letting go of my ego and finding the right "tool" to match my skill level.

That's one of the reasons I got the MR. But that's just me.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

interesting write up...congrats on the MR!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
So how do you launch the MR at the track? keep it neutral and put it in drive while revving the engine???? Or is there a launch mode?

Any thoughts?? I would also like to know....

thanks
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

"One little cool feature I got to experience was the MR’s launch control. It was extremely easy to activate. Switch to the right mode, foot on the brake, rev to 5k, and left off the brake and off you go. "
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
"One little cool feature I got to experience was the MR’s launch control. It was extremely easy to activate. Switch to the right mode, foot on the brake, rev to 5k, and left off the brake and off you go. "
I'm pretty sure with a tune you'll be able to rev it up higher for a better launch.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by desperado-c
To be able to say that about an automatic/manumatic/whatever version of the is in itself a tribute the car IMO. Especially given the tradeoffs you mention to make to make it "luxury cruiser".
Not really, since Mitsubishi purposely handicapped the GSR with a 5spd and gave the MR a 6spd. If they had the same ratios, things would be more favorable for the GSR imo...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

HOLD ON GUYS!!!!! I didn't buy an MR. I sell Mitsubishi. All I did was test drive the car.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Well congrats on the car, but I don't think you really know much about the GSR making comments like that. It's got a much stronger tranny than the MR, and although it may be a bit rough because of having very aggressive synchros, it's the strongest tranny that mitsu has ever made and will hold a ton of power. As far as it feeling slow and having flat spots in the powerband... maybe you drove one of the early GSRs that didn't have the latest factory reflash that I guarantee your MR has, but saying that the GSR feels 50 hp slower is ridiculous... especially considering that the magazines all rate the GSR as being faster in the 1/4.

Look, I'm happy for you that you are enjoying your MR, but realize that it's a luxury cruiser version of the GSR, and although it's faster around some tracks, it's slower around others; this has been proven in the magazine tests of the two. The suspesion is also softer sprung as well, which is why it feels cushier than the GSR. This unfortunately shows up in the skidpad tests though, showing the GSR at .99 Gs and the MR at .96 Gs. Slower slalom speed is another area that it takes a hit as well. It makes up for these shortcomings on certain tracks that require a lot of shifting by providing the super fast shifting that you are enjoying so much, but on higher speed tracks that don't require quite as much shifting it loses to the GSR.

Mitsubishi even said so themselves in a press release that the GSR is for the sports car enthusiast and purist, whilst the MR is for the guy who wants great performance but values creature comforts and technology more than all out performance and rawness. All I'm saying is that your perception of the GSR is way off and you need to chill out with the superiority complex of your MR being better than the GSR and realize that there had to be compromises in your MR model to make it the better daily driver that for you is definitely a better fit. Just be aware of the fact that there's no such thing as a luxury race car. It's one or the other, and when you add a little bit of one aspect it takes away from the other.
You are right, all we have on our lots are early build Evo X's. They don't have the reflash done and do feel down on power. That may be one of the reasons the MR felt stronger. 50hp was just a comparison, but I do know what 50hp feels like on a Evo (any Evo) and non relashed GSR's are pitifully slow. I never said I owned a MR, I sell them, thats how I got behind the wheel of one.

When you drive an MR, then you'll understand what my thread is talking about. Till then I would ask you to stop implying things about my thoughts or the MR trans.
The following users liked this post:
MRKevo (Aug 30, 2018)
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

When you drive an MR, then you'll understand what my thread is talking about
Sure would like to, but the dealer won't let me. I guess I make too much money to be driving a Mitsubishi.

Quick Reply: MR Trans is worth every penny!