Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

4 point harness

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4 point harness

does anyone know where to get or if they even make a harness bar for the X so i can put a harness in?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm good question. I saw an 8/9 with one and thought that it was a neat setup

It might cause problems with the airbags and I'd assume you'd get to wear the normal shoulder harness and the 4 point (oh boy).
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

What kind of driving are you doing where you need a harness and no cage?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:57 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Rguy
Maybe he wanted it for the looks, maybe he wanted it for just the harness, maybe he owned a few cars already and not one rolled over.....maybe its just something he wanted or maybe he just doesnt like roll cage at all...
Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Word.

Ill be sure to give him mad props for that tight harness.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

I just got a 3 point from corbeau....try Custon Carriages out of MN-they can weld up anything.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
auto x
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 08EvoXGSR
I just got a 3 point from corbeau....try Custon Carriages out of MN-they can weld up anything.
thank you, ill try them out
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:26 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

The only 4-point that I'd go with (an that most clubs allow you to run) are Schroth 4-points with the ASM (Ant-SubMarine) device. Otherwise it's simply not safe.

Without a harness bar, the Schroth Rallye 3 with the tail mounted to the rear c-pillar seat belt mount point is the best bet.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JWA
The only 4-point that I'd go with (an that most clubs allow you to run) are Schroth 4-points with the ASM (Ant-SubMarine) device. Otherwise it's simply not safe.

Without a harness bar, the Schroth Rallye 3 with the tail mounted to the rear c-pillar seat belt mount point is the best bet.
well i had a 3 point sparco in my 05 rx8 mounted to the c pillar and raced almost every weekend with no problem, i just thought it might be a little bit easier and a little bit cleaner if i install a harness bar and so that i can still have the rear seats open if i ever needed to use them
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:39 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ilive2win
well i had a 3 point sparco in my 05 rx8 mounted to the c pillar and raced almost every weekend with no problem, i just thought it might be a little bit easier and a little bit cleaner if i install a harness bar and so that i can still have the rear seats open if i ever needed to use them
Most clubs are implementing the Schroth ASM only rule as of this year, so it's a pretty new thing.

It sounds to me like you are confusing the terms 3-point and 4-point with the mounting system. A 3-point harness is the normal seat belt in any modern car. A 4-point harness that uses a three point mounting system is still a 4-point harness.

Harness bars are great - BUT you are NEVER supposed to have rear passengers in a car with a harness bar installed.

The Schroth Rallye 3 is nice because it has the ASM, it doesn't rely on the seat being strong enough to support crash loads, and it has a convenient release buckle on the tail strap so that you can still use the rear seats. Schroth is the only company with the quik-release for the tail strap. Check it out, it sounds like it is the best setup for what you want, especially if you want to use the rear seats easily and safely: http://www.schrothracing.com/product...allye/rallye-3

Last edited by JWA; Jul 22, 2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JWA
Most clubs are implementing the Schroth ASM only rule as of this year, so it's a pretty new thing.

It sounds to me like you are confusing the terms 3-point and 4-point with the mounting system. A 3-point harness is the normal seat belt in any modern car. A 4-point harness that uses a three point mounting system is still a 4-point harness.

Harness bars are great - BUT you are NEVER supposed to have rear passengers in a car with a harness bar installed.

The Schroth Rallye 3 is nice because it has the ASM, it doesn't rely on the seat being strong enough to support crash loads, and it has a convenient release buckle on the tail strap so that you can still use the rear seats. Schroth is the only company with the quik-release for the tail strap. Check it out, it sounds like it is the best setup for what you want, especially if you want to use the rear seats easily and safely: http://www.schrothracing.com/product...allye/rallye-3

that was the same setup i had before but without the quick release, so yes i did mix them up, im sorry, but why arent you supposed to have rear passangers with a harness bar installed? im not being sarcastic, im just learning something new here. now could i get a four pount (four mount) and install it on the x, would it fit? or would i have to get a 3 mount?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Because in an accident they'll smack into the 3" steel tube that your harness is attached to
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Because in an accident they'll smack into the 3" steel tube that your harness is attached to
haha, i figured, ...ok so on the rx8 i had the belt mounted to the pillar and mounted the front straps bolted under the seat that bolt down the seat in the front, is that the right way or was i just being dumb and there is a safer way of doing it? or is there another place to bolt down the straps?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:08 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

You should mount the side belts to the mounting point for the factory seat belts down on each side of the seat. Most of the companies have detailed installation instructions that explain the proper place to mount the belts. The reasoning behind how and where can get very complicated very quickly.

A harness bar is best, but basically makes the rear seats useless. A single tail strap mounted to the seat belt anchor on the c-pillar is second best. A lot of clubs won't allow you to use a two strap system that mounts down at the rear seat lap belt anchors because the straps are then too long and stretch enough in an impact for you to slip out.

Quick Reply: 4 point harness