Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dealer Maintenance & Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer Maintenance & Service

I'm coming up on 5K miles. I have the RRE Ecutek Tune and after-market Intake. My personal maintenance plan will be.......... Oil Change & Tires Rotated/Balanced every 5K Miles. Two Questions:

1. If I let my dealership perform this routine maintenance......... do they "Hook" the car to the computer for a diagnostic or anything that will "screw with" the ECU?

2. Obviously I could do the Oil change myself........ but I always re-balance the tires when I rotate them so I can't do that myself. Where else do Evo owners take their cars for maintenance?

Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not impossible, but improbable.

Originally Posted by 2kvette
1. If I let my dealership perform this routine maintenance......... do they "Hook" the car to the computer for a diagnostic or anything that will "screw with" the ECU?
I know to some this is might sound crazy, but why not just call up the dealer you're heading to and ask them what exactly they do when you bring your car in for an oil change and maintenance? You don't need to give them an explanation of why you're asking, but I think it's worth a try. If anything it might ease your mind some. And you're not going in for warranty work, so they really don't have any business wasting their time snooping around your ECU.

I don't blame you for asking though, especially with the number of posts (hysteria) lately asking about warranty voids for having an ECU flash (tune). But however eager Dealers are about making null your warranty, I've yet to hear or read of single instance when this has happened to another X owner. *knocks on wood*
Old Oct 16, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2kvette
I'm coming up on 5K miles. I have the RRE Ecutek Tune and after-market Intake. My personal maintenance plan will be.......... Oil Change & Tires Rotated/Balanced every 5K Miles. Two Questions:

2. Obviously I could do the Oil change myself........ but I always re-balance the tires when I rotate them so I can't do that myself. Where else do Evo owners take their cars for maintenance?

Thanks!
I'm going tomorrow for a free 3k oil change. Ill try to watch them for you if i can. See if they hook anything up to ECU
Old Oct 16, 2008, 02:43 PM

Thanks guys! My main concern isn't "voiding" my warranty but I paid $750.00 for the Ecutek tune..........the car run's amazing with it.............very fast........no hesitations or bogging down at the higher RPM's as those OEM's....... And I don't want the service guys f*cking with success!!!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

doubt they do. but if the whole reason youre bringing it to the dealer is because you want your wheel balanced... why not just bring them somewhere else to get balanced?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

werd up..

They'll void you for a freaking decal man!

get ur tired balanced elsewhere. it'll be cheaper
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KGHtheII
I'm going tomorrow for a free 3k oil change. Ill try to watch them for you if i can. See if they hook anything up to ECU
how did you get this free?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by John83
My 2nd oil change was free just because.

(I'm sure my first oil change would have been free but the specific dealership I went doesn't like to mention this stuff.)
Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Don't let them wash your car!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

you dont need to go to the dealer for a simple oil change and tire rotation.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by John83
Free because the dealership I bought the car from closed down. Would have done it myself otherwise.

Originally Posted by KGHtheII
So I watched the tech and asked him. He does not hook anything up to your ECU while doing an oil change.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Although I would save $10 buy changing my oil elsewhere (or more if I did it myself), I like to think that having regular maintenance performed, by the dealer techs, would somehow influence any decision about any grey area servicing that I might require in the future. Every little bit helps.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

I got 2 free oil changes so far, maybe its b/c they charged me up the a** for the car?
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Although I would save $10 buy changing my oil elsewhere (or more if I did it myself), I like to think that having regular maintenance performed, by the dealer techs, would somehow influence any decision about any grey area servicing that I might require in the future. Every little bit helps.
Given the attitude towards warranty voiding I agree with this. While many give me a hard time for having the dealer do required maintenance I too feel that it should shore up any "issues" that may arise.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i was told that for any service the medic must be hooked up to the ecu. i don't know if that was told to "scare" me away from tuning. another dealer suggested the same thing but with a more positive tone like in order to see if there are updates/reflashes for the particular vin.

Quick Reply: Dealer Maintenance & Service